September 25, 2013

The Sound of Music



The hills are alive.....with the sound of music.....



This is definitely my favorite musical ever. My family and I have watched it at least 20 times. I know I would have reviewed it sooner or later, but Amy Dashwood's Celebrate Musicals blog party is the perfect opportunity.

The Sound of Music is a Rodger's and Hammerstein's musical, based after the real life of Captain von Trapp, his children, and Maria. As you can guess though, the film is not an exact biography of the von Trapps' lives. But that's okay. I wouldn't want the movie any different. :)

Set at the start of World War 2 in Austria, Maria, a nun yet to take her vows, is a head-in-the-clouds type of woman who gets sent to be a governess for the 7 von Trapp children. Once there, she finds the children being brought up by their father, Captain von Trapp, with whistles, orders, and commands. Maria does not like this one bit and tells the captain so, probably the first governess to!
 

"Oh, no, sir. I'm sorry, sir. I could never answer to a whistle. Whistles are for dogs and cats and other animals, but not for children and definitely not for me. It would be too... humiliating."
The children (Liesl, Fredric, Louisa, Curt, Brigitta, Marta, and Gretl) try to play practical jokes on Maria, but soon find it hard to, as she makes them feel ashamed of their joke at the dinner table by saying, "Knowing how nervous I must have been, a stranger in a new household, knowing how important it was for me to feel accepted, it was so kind and thoughtful of you to make my first moments here so warm...and happy...and pleasant." Hahaha, score one for Maria!


The children soon adore Fraulein Maria, and they have fun doing activities they never do such as boating, singing, biking, and climbing trees. Captain von Trapp, who is gone away to bring two guests to the house, his potential future wife Baroness von Schrader and friend Max Dettweiler, is shocked on arriving home to find his children had been "roaming about Salzburg dressed up in nothing but some old drapes (play suits Maria made them out of old curtains)".


He soon has a change of heart, however, when he hears his children singing for the Baroness, something they've never been allowed to do since their mother's death. He joins in singing with them and realizes that in spite of Maria's recklessness and temper, she might just be a good thing for his children...and himself.
 

I recommend this movie 110%! It's totally appropriate and has a wonderful story. It one of those musicals where they have amazingly memorable songs, but they don't sing every time they take a breath (which can sometime get on your nerves).

I LOVE the Sound of Music!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rating: 10/10
 


 

 

10 comments:

  1. Hey Natalie! Beautiful blog you have here. I love the Sound of Music, too! Blessings on your blogging adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should read the book that Maria Augusta Trapp wrote... The Story of the Trapp Family Singers. I read it this summer & loved it! A new favorite of mine, a must read! I wondered if it could be better than the movie, but of course it by are out shines it! God bless! ~Clare

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Clare! I'll have to see if my library has it. It definitely sounds like something I'd be interested in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this movie!!! Your blog is very pretty!! ~ blooming-maiden.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much, Chloe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Sound of Music is AMAZING! I love it so much!

    The overture, though. I die. Every time. It's just too flawless.

    Great review!:D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love this musical too! :) Obviously. haha

      Delete
  7. Hi Natalie! The reason I clicked on your blog was because of the title. I <3 Sound of Music!! I used to watch it all the time when I was little. I probably know every song by memory. xD

    - Lilly Shyree (alillyingodsgarden.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lilly! I grew up on The Sound of Music, too. :D Definitely a favorite. I'm glad you found my blog; and thank you so much for commenting! :)

      Delete

You're thinking of leaving a comment? Please do! :D
Simply keep your words kind and gracious. Any comments containing mean or ugly words will be deleted immediately.