October 14, 2013

The Swan (1956)

 Sorry I haven't been posting as of late. Life, you know. :)

But here's a review of The Swan , starring Alec Guinness (Obi-Wan "Ben" Kenobi to anyone who's seen Star Wars!!), Grace Kelly and Louis Jourdan.



Let me tell you one thing right off-this movie has a terrible ending. After watching it, my family couldn't believe that was the end. It was soooooo terrible.

Grace Kelly stars as Princess Alexandra (of someplace in Europe) expected to marry her cousin, Prince Albert (Alec Guinness). The problem is she's painfully shy and quiet. Albert himself doesn't seem to find her as attractive as her mother had hoped, lending another road-block to this royal match-making. Alexandra's mother soon decides to take matters into her own hands. She contrives to make Prince Albert jealous by having Alexandra act as though in love with her handsome tutor. Poor Nicholas has been secretly in love with Alexandra for a long time and his hopes soar when the princess seems to love him as well. He is cruelly disappointed, however (and I felt so bad for him!) when Alexandra reveals it was only a plot to make the Prince jealous. She soon finds that she does feel for Nicholas in the same way, although she obviously didn't know it before!



The rest of the movie can be a little confusing, especially at the end. We couldn't tell half the time if their friends and family were trying to help them get together or to split them up.

*SPOLIER WARNING*
And, as you can guess, they don't end up together. She ends up with Albert, although they don't seem to love each other. At the ending, Albert talks to her about how she will have to be like a swan, gliding on the water but never going on the shore where ordinary people walk.

"Your father used to call you his swan, so I am told. I think that's a good thing to remember. Think what it means to be a swan: to glide like a dream on the smooth surface of the lake, and never go to the shore. On dry land, where ordinary people walk, the swan is awkward, even ridiculous. When she waddles up the bank she painfully resembles a different kind of bird....{a goose} And there she must stay, out on the lake: silent, white, majestic. Be a bird, but never fly. Know one song, but never sing it until the moment of death. And so it must be for you, Alexandra: cool indifference to the staring crowds along the bank. And the song? Never. "

Wow. That's nice. He basically says, "Give up your dreams, your true love, your personality. You're going to be a queen whether you like it or not. You can never be normal, MUHAHAHA!"

Allright. Maybe not quite like that. But pretty close.

*SPOLIER END*

One thing I loved in this movie was her clothing. Her dresses. They were absolutely gorgeous. I loved EVERY SINGLE one.




And it was interesting that this movie was released the day she married the Prince of Monaco. :) Just a little trivia fact.

So, overall this movie had some enjoyable, funny scenes and a semi-decent plot although I'd REALLY like to say a few words to whoever wrote that ending!! There's some passionate kissing between Alexandra and Nicholas. I don't have anything against kissing in movies (except when it's 2 minutes after they met and you're like "Why-are-you-kissing-this-person-you-don't-even-know??) but I know some people are sensitive to that (especially if passionate-it's like, "ooookay. This is awkward.") so I thought I'd throw it out there. :)

This pretty much sums up how I feel:


Have a great week!!!
Rating: 6/10
   

2 comments

  1. I just watched this movie now and I was quite annoyed at the ending. I found your blog doing a Google on The Swan's ending and commiserate with you at how sad it was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sad! I wantex her to end up with the hot tutor! They were so right for each other.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments as much as I love hot tea and a good book.....well, nearly, anyway!
Please keep your words kind and edifying.