December 9, 2013

Winter Wonderland Blog Party Week 1: A Merry Little Christmas

Welcome to Week One of our Winter Wonderland Blog Party!! I hope everyone enjoys participating! I'm co-hosting with Anna, so be sure to check out her posts as well! Here are my answers to our kick-off tag questions. The questions will all be at the bottom of this post so you can copy them and answer them too. I'm so excited about our party!! :)


1. What Christmas tree ornament holds the most sentimental value for you or the most memories?
 Hmmm....well, I have one that my grandparents gave me when I was little. It has my birth stone on it, a ruby, and I vividly remember them giving it to me so it kinda has sentimental value for me. :)


2. Favorite Christmas cookie?
 Oh yum...well, I love sugar cookies. But usually we make peanut butter cookies with Hershey's kisses in the middle, which my dad takes into work. But we get to keep some too. :) I looovvvee them.
And I love gingerbread people. They're so cute and fun to decorate. :)


3. Favorite Christmas colors-red and green, blue and white, or gold and silver?
 Oh, I love them all! I think red and green are my favorites since they're the "traditional" Christmas colors. But I love blue and white too-they're so wintry. I love gold and silver for wrapping a present or decorating.


4. What are your top 3 favorite Christmas movies?
 It's a Wonderful Life is THE BEST Christmas movie ever, hands down. Then I love the 1951 version of A Christmas Carol and Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. They're our family's classics, although there's many more I love.

5. 3 favorite Christmas carols and 3 favorite Christmas songs (Carols are songs you sing in church, songs any other Christmas song)?
 How can I pick ONLY 3 each!?!? -deep breath- Okay, okay, I can do this. 3 favorite Christmas carols are "Silent Night", "It Came Upon a Midnight Clear", and "Angels We Have Heard on High".
3 favorite Christmas songs...hmm..I love Matthew West's "The Heart of Christmas", Amy Grant's "I Need a Silent Night" and "Feliz Navidad". I mean, who doesn't love "Feliz Navidad"??


6. Sledding, ice-skating, skiing, snowball fights, or snowmobiling?
 Well, I've only gotten to play in snow, like,...twice...
I LOVED sledding though. And I adore ice-skating, even if I'm not that good. Never really had a chance to do a real snowball fight. -sob-  Never been skiing, and have only been snowmobiling once. I think I've got to pick sledding on this one. :)


7. Your most memorable Christmas ever was.....
 The time we had a blizzard in Florida!! Nah, I'm just kidding.
Hmmm. I can't really think of one that sticks out prominently in my mind. They're all so wonderful, just because my family is always together and we love God and each other. :)


8. Best Christmas gift ever?
 Every year that can change, as what you thought was the best gift ever when you were 4 probably won't be the best gift to you at 14. Some of my favorites throughout the years were this Polly Pocket set (I was a big fan), two 18" American-girl type dolls (the less expensive ones you can find at Target), the Lego Battle of Endor set for both my brother and I, and last year the Betsy-Tacy books. I love those books, they are a lesser-known series, but are just as memorable and classic as Anne of Green Gables, Little Women, or even Pride and Prejudice!


9. What's your funniest Christmas story?
 Oh my. I know one. I didn't think of it until just now as I'm proofreading my post before publishing. One Christmas when I was probably 10 I made my mom a homemade gift of slippers. Yes, slippers.
As in felt and masking tape held together foot warmers. Of course, at the time my mom said how much she loves them and all that. After a couple of years passed, I realized the silliness of that gift and my brother and dad love to tease me about them. My mom never even wore them more than once because they would surely fall apart! Instead they're kept in a box we keep all our things we made as kids and other sentimental things.
And here are the infamous slippers. Feel free to laugh, I won't mind. :)

 Another funny story happened one year when we bought our dog, Sparky, a brand new dodgeball to play with. It was seconds, SECONDS after we gave it to him on Christmas day that he bit a hole into it! It was hilarious, although VERY annoying. We learned not to buy him balls again! :P
Here's Sparky (on the left) with his buddy, Heidi. :) (pictures belong to me; please don't repost, pin, or otherwise copy without my permission. Thanks!)




10. Have you ever done "Secret Santa's" in your family?
Nope, never had! Cool idea though!

11. During a snowstorm would you rather read or watch a movie?
Oooh...hard one. I think I'd pick the book. Yeah. A book, a blanket, and a cup of hot chocolate. Then, if I had a window seat I'd sit there and watch the snow fall as I read. *Bliss*

12. Your favorite Christmas album?
Umm...oh, another hard one. I'll say ONE of my favorite Christmas albums is Francesca Batistelli's Christmas album. I love a lot of her songs on it!


13. Do you have a family Christmas tradition?
 I can't think of one specifically, but we always set up our tree while listening to Christmas music. We always watch our Christmas movies, and read the Christmas story from the Bible Christmas Eve night. :)

14. What is your favorite colors to wear throughout winter?
Red and green, respectively, are probably my ultimate favorites with blue coming into a close third. :)


15. What do you like better: baking Christmas cookies or wrapping Christmas presents?
Both!! I bake cookies throughout the year though, so wrapping gifts is a little more of a once a year thing. :)


16. Snow-shoveling the snow or staying inside?
Depends on my mood. (And if I lived in an area with snow!) I think my brother and I would have a lot of fun shoveling. Which would mean have a snow flinging fight.... :) Or a race to see who can shovel their side faster!


17. Do you like winter? Why?
Do I like winter. YES I LOVE WINTER!! UNLESS IT'S 87 DEGREES OUT AND WE'RE WEARING T-SHIRTS ON CHRISTMAS!!! Sorry. I get extremely annoyed by the fact that it  doesn't snow in Florida. But seriously, yes, I do. I adore winter.


18. How many Christmas trees do you put up in your house?
Just one. We get a real one though. They're soooo lovely, I don't ever want to do fake trees again!


19. What kinds of awesome decorations do you put on your tree(s)?
None. Haha, just kidding. We put a lot of different things on our tree. Glittery gold snowflakes, little glass birds, homemade things, glass balls, and tons of other random stuff. We don't really have a "theme" we just have a hodgepodge of different things. Here's some photos of some of our tree decorations from last year:

(pictures belong to me; please ask before copying/sending/pinning or anything! Thanks!)

20. Francesca Battistelli's song "Heaven Everywhere" is so beautiful and talks (or would that be sings?) about how Christmas makes it seem as if Heaven were everywhere. Read this selection of some of the lyrics, and tell us how you would help people feel "Heaven Everywhere".
"...It's Christmastime, there's something in the air
There's a little bit of heaven everywhere..

It's funny how it takes a holiday
To show us how the world could truly change
If we all took the time to really care
There'd be a little more of heaven everywhere

It's the grace that we show to a world that needs hope
It's giving our lives knowing they're not our own
It's the joy that we feel and the love that we share
There's a little bit of heaven everywhere..."

Oh, I just love that song. Let's see...I'd probably start by wishing everyone a "Merry Christmas" and giving them a smile. A smile can brighten anyone's day. I'd try to help anyone I see that needs help and just try to show Jesus' love to everyone I meet. :)


And here's the questions for y'll to copy. Once you've posted (and remember to put "Winter Wonderland Blog Party" as a tag!) leave a comment so I know who's participating! Thanks!
Most importantly, have fun answering the tag!

1. What Christmas tree ornament holds the most sentimental value for you or the most memories?
2. Favorite Christmas cookie?
3. Favorite Christmas colors-red and green, blue and white, or gold and silver?
4. What are your top 3 favorite Christmas movies?
5. 3 favorite Christmas carols and 3 favorite Christmas songs (Carols are songs you sing in church, songs any other Christmas song)?
6. Sledding, ice-skating, skiiing, snowball fights, or snowmobiling?
7. Your most memorable Christmas ever was.....
8. Best Christmas gift ever?
9. What's your funniest Christmas story?
10. Have you ever done "Secret Santa's" in your family?
11. During a snowstorm would you rather read or watch a movie?
12. Your favorite Christmas album
13. Do you have a family Christmas tradition?
14. What is your favorite colors to wear throughout winter?
15. What do you like better: baking Christmas cookies or wrapping Christmas presents?
16. Snow-shoveling the snow or staying inside?
17. Do you like winter? Why?
18. How many Christmas trees do you put up in your house?
19.What kinds of awesome decorations do you put on your tree(s)?
20. Francesca Battistelli's song "Heaven Everywhere" is so beautiful and talks (or would that be sings?) about how Christmas makes it seem as if Heaven were everywhere. Read this selection of some of the lyrics, and tell us how you would help people feel "Heaven Everywhere".
"...It's Christmastime, there's something in the air
There's a little bit of heaven everywhere..

It's funny how it takes a holiday
To show us how the world could truly change
If we all took the time to really care
There'd be a little more of heaven everywhere

It's the grace that we show to a world that needs hope
It's giving our lives knowing they're not our own
It's the joy that we feel and the love that we share
There's a little bit of heaven everywhere..."

13 comments

  1. Ooh, fun! I really wish I could do this tag, but I have enough posts already...ah, well.
    I love the Betsy-Tacy books! They were really a staple of my childhood and I thought they were really well-known, and then I mentioned them to people and nobody had even HEARD of them. HOW COULD THEY. ;P
    Heehee, my sister and I did the same thing! We took pieces of construction paper and stapled them together to make slippers for ourselves. They actually worked, for a day or so...;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got my post up faster than I anticipated. Cool!

    It's neat that you use a real tree. We did when we lived in Oregon 16 years ago. I sort of miss it, but practicality intervened. ;)

    Love the slippers!

    And I agree about It's a Wonderful Life. It's not my top favorite movie, but it's up there and I love it. My dad and I are the only ones in my family that do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miss Jane Bennet-
    Oh my, I'm sooo happy to meet another Betsy-Tacy fan! I can't believe more people haven't heard of them and that they aren't up there on the list with all the other classics. They're soooo amazing! I'm planning on reviewing them soon.
    Oh you made slippers too!? That's so funny! :)
    I'm sorry you can't participate, but I totally understand. I hope your LOTR blog party goes well!! I've never seen LOTR, although I have played the Lego video game of it with my brother so I'm more than a little familiar with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carissa-
    Yay! I'm glad you're participating! :)
    Aw, that's too bad you don't have a real tree. At least you have snow, though. :) We feel blessed if the weather's in the 70s on Christmas, hahaha.
    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great answers Natalie! I finally got my tag up! Love your slippers! :0
    Can you believe that it's finally happening? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such fun... I am looking forward to doing it! Quick question: when is the deadline for story submission the second week? I am trying to figure out if I can finish mine by then...

    Thank you for hosting this party!!!

    Eowyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. I mean, who doesn't love "Feliz Navidad"??

    *quietly raises hand*

    :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anna-
    Thanks! I loved your answers too! Christmas dinner at McDonalds-that would definitely be a funny story to tell!
    I know!!! I'm so excited!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lady Eowyn-
    I think the deadline will be the 20th, as we'll judge and announce the winner on the 21st. I'm waiting to hear back from Anna on this, though, so I might be wrong. :) I'll tell you if it changes!
    Glad you're able to join us!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Melody-
    Oops! Sorry about that! I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on that song. :)
    Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Eowyn-The deadline will actually be the 21st. Sorry for the confusion! The winner will be announced on the 23rd. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Natalie!
    Here is my link for the tag - http://headinthecloudsandpeninhand.blogspot.com/2013/12/winter-wonderland-blog-party-tag.html
    Thank you for putting this tag together, it was very fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much, Lady Eowyn! I'm glad you liked the tag! I can't wait to read your answers! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments as much as I love hot tea and a good book.....well, nearly, anyway!
Please keep your words kind and edifying.