January 12, 2014

What All Girls Need to Know

Ever since I started my blog I knew that I'd want to post about modesty. Modesty was never really an issue in my family until I was 10 years old or so, and my mom would start saying "no" to certain outfits. Let's just say I didn't like not getting to wear what "every" other girl gets to wear. :) I obeyed, but still didn't like the idea very much. Slowly, through talks with my mom and the discovery of great modest fashion blogs, I grew to understand WHY modesty is so important.

What made me bring up this topic is that I really want to share this, The Rebelution's Modesty Survey, with you. I recently discovered it from the blog Fresh Modesty and it is amazing! For any girls out there who are confused as to why it's important to dress modestly around guys and what to wear if they want to be modest, the survey is great. It's an extensive list of statements (or "questions" if you will) made by girls and answered by boys. It's not a list of rules. It simply gives so much insight as to what GUYS think of girls' clothing.

Here's some of the things guys have said on the site:

It {modesty} is the first thing I notice when I see a girl. If a girl is dressed immodestly, I am less likely to talk to her. -22 years old


I ALWAYS notice when a girl dresses modestly and am much more impressed by her than the girl that wants to show me her body. -16 years old

I don't have to drop my eyes when I see a modestly dressed girl. I can look at her and say. "Wow, she looks nice." Instead of having to look at the ground or the ceiling. -13 years old

It's incredibly refreshing, comforting, and just safe to be in an environment of modestly dressed people. It's like coming off of the front lines into the safe zone. -20 years old


It means SO MUCH! It's not just that we respect you more, there is even an attraction to girls who dress modestly. I don't want to marry someone who is dressed immodestly all the time. I want to marry someone who I've noticed dresses modestly and has a concern for modesty. Don't ever think that it goes unnoticed. Guys notice, and guys are so grateful.  -17 years old

Dearest sister: God made you a thing of beauty. A thing to be admired and respected. When you dress or act in a way that draws attention to your body, you make it easy for the guys around you to reduce you to the level of a disgusting toy - using you to mentally satisfy their fantasies. They stop thinking about your Godly qualities and immerse themselves in sinful thought. By dressing and acting modestly, you draw attention to your face instead of your body. Your body may be alluring, but your face - those deep, mysterious eyes and smiling mouth - is infinitely more beautiful than any amount of revealing dress. Would you rather be the tool by which guys satisfy themselves or the beautiful thing God created you to be, pure for your husband? My flesh prefers the former, but my heart pleads for the latter.  -17 years old

Ultimately it is a guy's responsibility whether or not he is going to keep himself pure. No one can be forced to sin. However, a lot of girls don't realize how very difficult it is for even the most godly guy to resist temptation in this area. It is so easy to let your eyes go to the wrong places, especially with the way our culture is today. It is the guy's decision whether he is going to sin or not, but a girl can make it a lot easier, or a girl can make it incredibly difficult.-15 years old

Modesty is not just an issue of clothes, it also has to do with the heart and the woman's walk with God. A girl who dresses modestly is showing that her heart is right, and that is the kind of woman I intend to marry someday. -15 years old

As that last statement said, modesty isn't just what you wear. True modesty starts in the heart. True modesty doesn't crave attention, especially inappropriate attention. A girl with true modesty thinks of others before herself.

Don't be concerned about the outward beauty that depends on jewelry, or beautiful clothes, or hair arrangements. Be beautiful inside, in your hearts, with the lasting charm of a gentle and quiet spirit which is so precious to God. 1 Peter 3:3-4


Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the Lord, she shall be praised. Proverbs 31:30


I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God. 1 Timothy 2:9-10

Standards of modesty are going to vary from family to family, person to person. Some Christians allow skinny jeans, some won't allow a skirt above the ankles. There's no list of rules in the Bible saying how many inches a skirt has to be or how low your shirt can be. But with the above Bible verses in mind, and knowing how some clothing affects guys, it's really not that hard to see what's modest and what's not.

I hope this post helped you out and that you found the survey as encouraging and helpful as I did! I think for Christian girls who ARE striving to dress modestly, it's encouraging to read that guys DO appreciate our efforts. It's not easy to find modest clothing. It's not always easy to be set apart from the world. But it's worth it, because we're doing it for Jesus.

If you have any questions or comments about modesty and what my opinions are, please leave a comment! I love them! ;)

More helpful blogs and posts on modesty:
Fresh Modesty
Dressing Like Royalty from All Things Bright and Beautiful
Guidelines from All Things Bright and Beautiful
Calico Clodhoppers
AmandaBeth
Bramblewood Fashion


(I did have some cute and funny images to include with this post, but blogger is being temperamental.....not a surprise. There always seems to be some error or another going on. :P)


4 comments

  1. Have you heard of the blog called A Pinch of Classy? I love their blog. They had a really good post on this, I believe. Great post, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard of it, but I'm not sure if I've looked at it yet. I will; it sounds good from the name! :)
    Thanks! I'm glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was great Natalie! This can be a hard topic to cover! You wrote it with wonderful moderation!

    I read Olivia's post today also I cant wait to check out that survey!

    Thank you SO much for sharing a link to our blog! We are thrilled to be part of such a worthy cause! :)

    Cassie
    ps Sorry about the bad punctuation our computer's period and comma buttons are not working! One of the reasons we have not blogged this past week but I didn't want to pass up the opportunity to express my gratitude! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cassie-
    Thank you so much! I'm so glad you liked it. It took awhile to word it "just right". I didn't want to get too deeply into the topic, but I still wanted to convey the importance of it! :)
    Oh, your welcome! Your blog has definitely become one of my favorites!
    Haha, don't worry about the punctuation-I totally understand! :)
    Tell me what you think of the survey when you read it!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments as much as I love hot tea and a good book.....well, nearly, anyway!
Please keep your words kind and edifying.