February 23, 2014

Literary Heroine Blog Party!


Hello all! I've heard of the Literary Heroine Blog Party before and always had it in the back of my mind to participate once I start a blog. Well, I did start a blog so here I am! I'm sorta late with this post because I was having problems uploading pictures to my blog post. Long story short, I'm able to upload pictures now because I'm using Google Chrome instead of Internet Explorer. :) 
Here are my answers to the questions supplied by Kellie, the host of this blog party!
1. Introduce yourself!  Divulge your life's vision, likes, dislikes, aspirations, or something completely random!
I am a Christian girl, saved by grace through Jesus Christ. I live on 5 acres in the country and love it. My hobbies are books, photography, writing, artwork, sewing, and playing the piano. I love movies from "back then" (1930s-1950s) and period dramas. I love Disney and am dying to see Frozen. :) Random things about me? I hate mayonnaise, I sew doll costumes, I volunteer as a historical reenactor, and I've also grown a recent fondness for Blimey Cow. :)
  
2. What, to you, forms the essence of a true heroine?
A true heroine is someone you can relate to and look up to. She should be inspiring and a good example, but she can't be perfect. She has to have character flaws to overcome just as normal people do. I love heroines who are feminine and not afraid to show it, but are also brave and strong, not someone who easily breaks down in tears every time something goes wrong. Not that she shouldn't cry! Everyone needs to let their emotions out sometimes. Take Anne Shirley for instance. I'm rewatching Anne of Avonlea (for the 50th time probably) when Anne is teacher at Kingsport Ladies College. Even when everyone is against her and all seems bleak she doesn't give up and eventually gains everyone's friendship-even the prickly Miss Brooke! Of course, a heroine is always more appealing (to me, at least!) when her strength totally depends on God. Millie Keith, my favorite heroine from the A Life of Faith series, doesn't succeed by herself. Every day she has to call upon God to help her show love, patience, and forgiveness to friends, family, and enemies. 
 
3. Share (up to) four heroines of literature that you most admire and relate to.
Anne Shirley from Anne of Green Gables, Millie Keith from A Life of Faith, Emily Webster from Emily of Deep Valley, and Betsy from Betsy-Tacy. 

4. Five of your favorite historical novels? 
Pride and Prejudice, Little House on the Prairie, Anne of Green Gables, A Tale of Two Cities, and Little Women. Just to name a few. :)

5. Out of those five books who is your favorite major character and why? 
Ummm...probably Anne. She's imaginative, bright, caring, spunky-what's not to love? She's a lovely  role model (although I wouldn't suggest following her example in hair care....) and I don't see how ANYONE could not like Anne. I don't think I could be friends with someone who doesn't like Anne. :)

 
6. Out of those five books who is your favorite secondary character and why? 
Hmm....I'm not really sure. Maybe Beth from Little Women?

7. If you were to plan out your dream vacation, where would you travel to-and what would you plan to do there?
England. It would totally be England. I would go to all the Jane Austen spots, go to places mentioned in her books, visit historical sights-everything! :)

8. What is your favorite time period and culture to read about? 
I'm not sure if I have an exact favorite. Anything around or in the 1800s will catch my attention. I also love the 1930s-50s era. I've found a lot of books actually written in that time period! Other than Nancy Drew, there is the Cherry Ames nurse series, the Vicki Barr flight stewardess series, the Donna Parker series, the Ginny Gordon series-and that's about all I've read so far. Cherry Ames is the BEST. I'd recommend those books in a heartbeat, I love them so much.

9. You have been invited to perform at the local charity concert. Singing, comedy, recitation - what is your act comprised of? 
Must I pick out of those three? If so, I'd sing. I adore singing, even if I'm not exactly the best. Otherwise I'd play the piano. I'm more confident with that than my singing. :) 

10. If you were to attend a party where each guest was to portray a heroine of literature, who would you select to represent? 
-sigggghhhh- That would be the BEST party ever....why don't people do this?? Or why don't I know people who do this? Probably Anne of Green Gables. I've already got the hair for it. :) Plus I'd get to wear a lovely Edwardian gown. With puffed sleeves, of course!

11, What are your sentiments on the subject of chocolate? 
Love. I particularly like eating chocolate chips.

12. Favorite author(s)? 
Jane Austen, L. M. Montgomery, Maud Hart Lovelace, Laura Ingalls Wilder, Charles Dickens (I've only read one of his books, though), Louisa May Alcott, Jean Archambault-White......

13. Besides essentials, what would you take on a visiting voyage to a foreign land? 
My camera and journal (actually, they'd be essentials to me!!), a notebook or two, a book, and maybe some art supplies. There's probably more things that I'd want to bring but I can't think of them right now. I'm notorious for over packing, so I'd have to sit down and really figure out what I'd actually USE on the trip!

14. In which century were most of the books you read written? 
The 19th century, I think.

15. In your opinion, the ultimate hero in literature is… 
What?? I can only pick one!?!? Oh my....hm. A hero doesn't mean "the guy who gets the girl" so I'm going to go for Sydney Carton. He demonstrated true love and sacrifice in a Christ-like imitation. He is truly a hero. (And even though the book doesn't say he became a born-again Christian I like to think he did.)

16. Describe your ideal dwelling place. 
Green Gables. :)

17. Sum up your fashion style in a short sentence. 
Classy and simple with fun colors and sometimes with a vintage or "country" flair.
For example, I'd wear these outfits:










18. Have you ever wanted to change a character’s name? 
Yup. If it's one I don't like. Sometimes a character with a name you don't like can change your opinion of the name, though! For example, the only character named Judd I'd ever known was that creepy guy from Oklahoma. Then I read Left Behind: The Kids and the main character's name is Judd. He's a great character, so now when I think of the name "Judd" it doesn't creep me out like it did before. :)

19. In your opinion, the most dastardly villain of all literature is....
Dr. Evil Pork Chop!!!!  Sorry. Um, can I said Rigaud from Little Dorrit even though I haven't read the book yet? He really creeped me out in the movie. He's just so evil and insane.
 
20. Three favorite Non-fiction books? 
I don't actually read alot of non-fiction. Not that I don't like to, I just don't search for it as much as I do fiction. :) Three I like are Soul Surfer, My Philadelphia Father, and Soul Surfer devotions.

21. Your duties met for the day, how would you choose to spend a carefree summer afternoon? 
Maybe taking a bike ride and then splashing around in the pool! Afterwards my brother and I would ride around our property with the golf cart. It's the best way to dry off after swimming. :)

22. Create a verbal sketch of your dream hat - in such a way as will best portray your true character. 
A breezy summer sun hat in aqua blue. It'd be a bit wide and floppy, but not too big. :) And then I'd wear a lovely summer dress with it. In aqua blue. See a trend here?

Something like this.... 
23. Share the most significant event(s) that have marked your life in the past year. 
I started a blog and got braces! One's a good thing that I hope continues for a long time. The other is a good thing that I hope will end very very very soon. ;)

24. Share the Bible passage(s) that have been most inspiring to you recently.
This verse has always been inspiring and comforting to me:
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will keep your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6
I say this verse to myself a lot, in all sorts of different circumstances. It's especially comforting as my family is contemplating moving back to our home state of Michigan. He will keep our path straight as long as we rely on him and not our own wisdom. :)

Well, hope you enjoyed reading my answers! And what do you think of my new blog design? I'd love to hear from you!! 

32 comments

  1. Hi; I followed the link for you blog via Kellie's Blog Party. I love your fashion choices. I have an entire Pinterest board dedicated to outfits other people put together that I might try an imitate with my own wardrobe. :) Thanks for sharing your answers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jessie! I save outfit images too. It helps a lot when choosing what to wear, don't you think? :)

      Delete
    2. Absolutely!! I usually try and find clothes that will work in several of the outfits, that way I have staple pieces of my wardrobe I can wear with multiple outfits. It's such a lifesaver!

      Delete
    3. Yes, that's what I try to do too! :)

      Delete
  2. I just loved reading through your answers! You like Anne (spelled with an "e", of course!) and so do I. :-) Your choice of hat is just lovely! Plus, I love the color - it's my absolute favorites. :-) This blog party has been so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, of course with an "e"! :) Thank you, I'm glad you liked "my" hat too!

      Delete
  3. Loved your answers! It's very cool that you do historic reenactment. What time period do you do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, where I volunteer I get to dress up in an mid 1800s pioneer dress! :) We have school groups come through where they learn things like what life was like for a pioneer and such. I actually don't get to teach them anything, I usually get the job of taking them on the zipline which is a backyard "tree-to-tree" type of zipline, haha. :)

      Delete
  4. You sound like a very nice person.
    I like Anne too, although it annoys me a bit that it takes such a long time for her to accept Gilbert. :P
    We're so similar!
    I was reading through this post and thinking, 'Oh yes! Me too....'
    Have a good day in Christ
    ~ Naomi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you Naomi! :)
      Haha, my mom and I were just watching Anne and commenting on how long it takes Anne to accept Gilbert-it is quite annoying!

      Delete
  5. Yes, I love your answers (and your images - those clothes are so me!). The header image is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tara! I'm so glad you like the header! :)

      Delete
  6. Ahh, Cherry Ames. She's so much fun! And I love Anne too -- she would be so fun to dress as!

    I LOVE that floppy hat. And I had braces for 3 years -- they never come off as soon as we want them to, alas. Good luck with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hamlette!
      Haha, thanks! Thankfully I should be getting them off within a couple of months. I haven't even had them for a full year so we're glad it didn't take as long as we initially thought. :)

      Delete
    2. WOW! That's quick. I had mine for 3 years. But that was 20 years, so obviously technology has improved in the orthodontic world!

      Delete
    3. Yes, it is quick! My teeth weren't terrible to begin with, I just wanted them to look a little less crooked. :) They're still not "perfect teeth" but that's okay, because I would have had to have a tooth pulled to get them perfect, and I really didn't want to do that, haha. :)
      Oh, and thanks so much for telling me about how to get the reply option on comments-I really like having it! :)

      Delete
    4. I'm glad it's working for you now! I agree -- the nested comments make it so much easier to know who's replying to what.

      Delete
  7. I'm dying to see Frozen, too. I know half the songs, and I already know how the story ends, but I still want to see the movie. Great answers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joanna!
      I'm trying not to read or see any spoilers so it's all mostly a surprise when I watch it! :) Of course, that's easier said than done, haha. :) Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  8. Lovely answers! I'm so glad it all worked out and came up all right. Also, both "Anne-with-an-e" and turquoise blue are absolutely delightful... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heidi! I got your book, Ellen, today and will be reading it soon! It looks wonderful, I can't wait to dive in! :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I'm so glad and I do hope you enjoy it! :-)

      Delete
  9. I must join in and comment on that lovely hat and flowy dress. My absolute favorite colour. My room is that colour, and I rather adore it. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Skyeler! My room is that color as well. :) It's definitely my favorite color.
      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  10. The aqua ensemble is perfectly stunning! I agree that a party where everybody dressed up as characters from stories would be so very lovely and fun! I also just wanted to let you know that I nominated you for The Sunflower Blogger Award! You can see it here: http://headinthecloudsandpeninhand.blogspot.com/2014/03/simply-facts.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much, Lady Eowyn! I really appreciate it! This is the second nomination I've gotten for a blogger award within the last couple of weeks! I'm still working on my answers to the other one but I will post them ASAP and do yours as well!! Thank you SO much for nominating me!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice post, Natalie! Those outfits that you posted are super cute as well! =)

    Ashley B.
    Like No Other Fashion
    www.likenootherfashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love love love Anne too! Have you read all the books?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have! Not recently though, so I'm dying to read them again! :)

      Delete
  14. Firstly sorry for commenting on a post from so long ago but I couldn't help it!!
    OHMYGOSH judd from Oklahoma! Yes he creeps me out too!! I played the Viola in a production of that xD. Lonely room always terrified the orchestra *shudders* lovely post XD

    Evie
    Ps would you like to join me in a comparison or musical themed post that we could both post?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that's okay!
      Yes!!! Isn't he just......ugh. So terrible. Really? That's so cool you played the viola for Oklahoma!!
      Thank you so much for asking me to do a post with you! I am really honored, although I'm not quite sure if I have the time right now...
      What kind of post were you thinking? :)

      Delete

I love comments as much as I love hot tea and a good book.....well, nearly, anyway!
Please keep your words kind and edifying.