March 16, 2014

Skirts or Pants=Judging Others

Awhile back one of my favorite modest fashion blogs, Fresh Modesty, had a post with a 122 comment war about the jeans outfit featured: Chevron Tunic.

Okay. So it wasn't exactly a war. It was a....strong opinionated discussion about whether pants are modest and okay to wear. 

Now I have no problem wearing pants or shorts. I wear them all the time. I don't have a problem with skirts either and have been incorporating more skirts into my wardrobe lately.
This isn't going to be a post about why I think pants are okay to wear. This is going to be a post asking,
"WHY  ARE WE SO JUDGMENTAL TOWARD PEOPLE WHO DON'T SHARE OUR VIEWS??"

Because some of the things said and implied in that comment war were just downright unnecessary.
First off, the girl who started it all said she didn't think jeans were modest, quoted Deuteronomy 22:5, and couldn't understand how jeans could be considered modest.

Okay....now tell me why it was necessary for you to confront Olivia about this?
I'm not saying Christians shouldn't offer helpful advice to their brothers and sisters in Christ. But do we really think leaving a comment on someone's blog is going to change their opinion? People whom we don't even know in real life?? Why do Christians jump all over one another when someone has an opinion different from their own? Why we do we try to conform everyone else to our convictions? Why can't we just let them be?

Please understand that I'm not trying to point fingers, put others down, or (haha) change someone's opinion. I am just as guilty as the next person of judging others and continually need to work at NOT doing that! :)

Listen up-we are not perfect. We do not have all the answers. We all make mistakes. We all intrepret Scripture wrongly at times. As to modesty-God gave us brains. It is up to us to use God given common sense and the Bible to form our own convictions. If a girl believes in wearing only skirts-then let her do it! Don't give her a hard time. If she believes that pants are okay, again, don't give her a hard time! 

I mean really....who made YOU the judge?

This video was our sermon today for our "home church". When we were watching it I got so excited because it was so so so so PERFECT for what I wanted to address in this post. He (Tim Conway) says all I wanted to say and more-and he says it much better than I ever would!

It's a long video-an hour-but if you have the time, please sit down and watch it because WE ALL need this message.



PS. All I see is on blank spot for this video when I post it, so if you have the same problem, here is the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3-fk8Uxkjk

10 comments:

  1. I agree wih you completely. I went over to tea the comments before posting. I don't see why we as Christians can't respect each other's opinions. I mean seriously. I am a wearer of pants, but we have good family friends, which the wife only wears skirts. I don't find anything wrong with wearing just skirts and dresses, but I don't get why some Christians have problems accepting Christians who wear pants. Do you get what I mean?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I totally agree. I believe that Christians all have their own standards,etc. and I believe that it is mainly about the heart! And people who fight over these standard differances don't have a right heart! My family only wear skirts but I don't have any problem with those that do...it's all a matter of the heart =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna-
    Yes, I don't know why Christians get so judgmental about things like that. It's like we think we're SO right and they're SO wrong. What makes us such infallible beings?? They're so many verses in the Bible about not judging others, but we frequently forget them.

    Brittney- Yes, it is about the heart! I agree with you! It's so sad when Christians pick each other apart for their different standards and opinions. I don't have a problem with girls who wear only skirts, just as I would hope they wouldn't fault me for wearing pants! :)

    Thanks so much for the comments! :) And if you get a chance, I highly recommend the video! It's amazing!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah yes, this post was so needed! I read all 122 of those comments and by the end I was shocked to find that nothing had come of it. With respect I point out that the young lady who started it was not being teachable. Quite interesting debate-that-wasn't-a-debate. :) Respect is the key I think, every one has their own convictions and we should all respect them. :)

    I'll try to watch that video sometime when I have time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Nathalie!
    I agree, I agree! This post was really lovely. I know people who just wear skirts, and I think it's a good thing for them to wear skirts, but I love wearing trousers (pants) as well and I do so a lot.
    Basically I agree with everything you said, so I suppose there's no use in saying everything again. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Evelyn- Haha, I didn't read ALL of the comments, but I skimmed over the whole thing, and you're right, nothing came of it. I agree, respect was definitely lacking in some of the comments!

    Naomi- Thank you so much! I'm glad you enjoyed my post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wear jeans, skirts, dress-pants, and capris totally depending on the weather and work. It's not so much what we wear on our legs as how our shirts are cut that determine whether we're being modest or not. Such a shame that so much unpleasantness arose over an unimportant issue.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carissa-
    I agree shirts can make or break an otherwise modest outfit! I think that pants/shorts are important too, though, and I try to be careful about how tight and short they are.
    Yes, it is a shame! I wouldn't call it an unimportant issue, but there ARE a lot of better things than arguing over personal convictions we as Christians can be doing with our time! Thanks for commenting! :)

    ReplyDelete

You're thinking of leaving a comment? Please do! :D
Simply keep your words kind and gracious. Any comments containing mean or ugly words will be deleted immediately.