February 27, 2015

Literary Heroine Blog Party Tag 2015


Hello everybody! I forgot about the annual Literary Heroine Blog Party. When I saw it come up on my dashboard, I thought at first I'd skip it, but I realized it would be fun to see how my answers change from last year, so here I am. :)
If you'd like to read my past LHBP post, here's the link: literary-heroine-blog-party 2014

(Oh, and I was recently interviewed on Naomi's blog along with several other wonderful bloggers-if you'd like, go check out part 1 of the Writing Interview!)



~ The Questions ~

Introduce yourself! Divulge your life's vision, likes, dislikes, aspirations, or something completely random!
Well, if you've been reading my blog for any amount of time (or even if you're new) you probably know all about me from my posts or sidebar profile. But, I'll try to answer this question anyways. I'm a 16 (going on 17) year old girl who finds enjoyment in creative past times, especially photography, writing, drawing, and playing the piano. The sun setting behind dark trees and casting golden shadows across the snow is one of my favorite sights. Mixtures of shadows and light are so beautiful. I write often, sometimes working on a novel, other times I'll journal. I've been journaling since I was 10 years old and I think I have about 13 finished journals. 



What, to you, forms the essence of a true heroine? 
A true heroine to me is someone who truly loves the Lord with all her heart and strives to become closer to Him and more obedient. She's not perfect, but she stands strong in the face of temptation and isn't afraid to tell people her beliefs. She is kind, helpful, brave, strong, and humble. 

Share (up to) four heroines of literature that you most admire and relate to. 
Hmmm....I have so many favorite heroines, it's always so hard to choose. I'll mix it up this year and try to choose ones I didn't choose last year. :) Some of my favorites would be Amy Dorrit from Little
Dorrit, Susan Pevensie from The Chronicles of Narnia, Marguerite Blakeney from The Scarlet Pimpernel, and Fanny Price from Mansfield Park.

Both Amy Dorrit and Fanny Price are patient, kind, helpful, and forbearing. They put up with a lot of mean and uncaring behavior from their family-to the point where if I was them I wouldn't be able to respond in the kind and forgiving manner that they do!


Marguerite Blakeney can be a bit selfish, spoiled, and immature at the start, but as her story progresses the necessity for her to be brave and unselfish makes her a better woman.
 She struggles with the choice of protecting her brother and protecting the Scarlet Pimpernel, who saves many aristocrats from the guillotine. While of course she doesn't want anyone to die because of her, she loves her brother too much to have him sent to his death.


Now for Susan, I haven't read the books in quite a while, so my opinion of her is mostly based on the movies. Usually people prefer Lucy to Susan. While I love Lucy, I've sometimes been able to relate to Susan more due to her older sibling position and controlling "I'm in charge" attitude at times. Yes, she doesn't always make the best decisions, but I think she truly cares for and wants the best for her brothers and sisters, and Narnia makes her a better person.
I've never been able to reconcile myself that she doesn't go to Narnia at the end of the (book) series!



Five of your favorite historical novels? 
Only five? All right. Here's five random favorites-Jane Eyre, A Tale of Two Cities, Les Miserables, The Scarlet Pimpernel, and Emma.

Out of those five books who is your favorite major character and why? 
Mmmm......so hard. Perhaps Jean Valjean......or Jane.....or Marguerite...Emma...Sir Percy....Mr. Knightley....Mr. Rochester...Sydney Carton...
IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO CHOOSE.


Out of those five books who is your favorite secondary character and why?
Secondary? Ugh. So hard. Maybe Eponine from Les Mis. I really don't know.
I'm sorry for these "I don't know" answers, but it's seriously hard to choose and I don't want to hurt my brain trying to decide....:)

If you were to plan out your dream vacation, where would you travel to - and what would you plan to do there? 
England! Enough said, right? I would visit all the historical spots I could, especially Jane Austen related and such. Just to travel around that beautiful country would be SO amazing!

What is your favorite time period and culture to read about? 
1700's to 1960's or so. But I especially love the mid 1800's, the Regency era, the 1930's, 40's, and 50's, and I also like the medieval era.


You have been invited to perform at the local charity concert. Singing, comedy, recitation, tap dancing… what is your act comprised of? 
Probably piano playing....or perhaps singing...I really don't know!

If you were to attend a party where each guest was to portray a heroine of literature, who would you select to represent? 
SUCH a hard question!!  I would perhaps portray Anne Shirley from Anne of Green Gables. There's so many heroines I would love to dress as, but it helps when you look like the said heroine. Anne would probably be the one I closest resemble.

Favorite author(s)? 
Dickens, Austen, Montgomery, Maud Hart Lovelace, Elizabeth Gaskell, Louisa May Alcott--among many others!

In which century were most of the books you read written? 
Mmm...*glances at bookshelf*. I really can't say. I have many 19th century classic, but I also have more or an equal amount from the 21st century.

In your opinion, the ultimate hero in all literature is… 
UGH. Such a hard question!!!
In my opinion, ONE of the ultimate heroes in all literature is Arthur Clennam from Little Dorrit. 
He's just........


........wonderful. He's so kind, caring, and sensitive of others, doesn't hesitate to say how he feels and asks questions point-blank ("Are you angry with me, John?"). He's always a gentleman, and while he may be a bit oblivious and....hmm...how should I say this...UNAWARE that his true love has been before him all this time, he's still one of my favorite heroes.


In your opinion, the most dastardly villain of all literature is... 
I know I said Rigaud last year, so this year I'll say the Sheriff of Nottingham from Robin Hood.
He's especially terrible in the BBC series.

Describe your ideal dwelling place. 
I love old farmhouse style homes, especially if there's history to it! Ideally, the house would be snug and cozy, with bookcases, window seats, and hidden passages (hey, you said ideal!). The house would sit on a large piece of land with many trees, but also a lovely field or two. :)

Sum up your fashion style in a short sentence. 
I don't know. I have such a hard time with this sort of question. I guess my style is simple, feminine, and classy. Oh, let me just show some pictures. It's more fun that way.
Of course, this isn't an accurate portrayal of my wardrobe, but rather a "If I owned this items I would definitely wear them." 











Three favorite Non-fiction books?
I don't read a lot of nonfiction, to be honest, although I do enjoy books on photography or art. The Story of the Von Trapp Family Singers is a VERY good book about...well, can you guess? ;)
I have some nonfiction books on my shelf soon to be read though, so hopefully I'll have more on my list soon.
Oh, and of course, there's the Bible!  Which I hardly think of as a nonfiction book. More like it's in a category all it's own. Because it's more special than a regular old nonfiction book. :)

Your duties met for the day, how would you choose to spend a carefree summer afternoon? 
Swimming, if I had a pool, or going for a bike ride. Or reading outside...oh, so many things! I can't for spring and summer. I've been battling a bit of cabin fever lately. I love winter, but....it's time for it to leave now!

Create a verbal sketch of your dream hat - in such a way as will best portray your true character. 
Well, I don't know if it will portray my true character-I have so many favorite hats!
I'd like a classy brown 1940's fedora-like hat sort of like this:

Share the most significant event(s) that have marked your life in the past year. 
I moved, met new friends, have a church home (something my family hasn't had in a long time!), and have gotten to know my blogger friends more. 2014 was a pretty good year, overall. :)

Share the Bible passage(s) that have been most inspiring to you recently.
This passage stood out to me a while ago as encouragement to always be patient, loving, and humble with anyone you are helping or witnessing to. I can be prideful and impatient, and this passage helped me see where I was at fault.

"We were not looking for praise from people, not from you or anyone else, even though as apostles of Christ we could have asserted our authority.  Instead, we were like young children among you.

Just as a nursing mother cares for her children, so we cared for you. Because we loved you so much, we were delighted to share with you not only the gospel of God but our lives as well.  Surely you remember, brothers and sisters, our toil and hardship; we worked night and day in order not to be a burden to anyone while we preached the gospel of God to you. You are witnesses, and so is God, of how holy, righteous and blameless we were among you who believed. For you know that we dealt with each of you as a father deals with his own children, encouraging, comforting and urging you to live lives worthy of God, who calls you into his kingdom and glory." -1 Thessalonians 2:6-12

11 comments

  1. Enjoyed your answers and love your clothing style!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooooh very nicely done!! :D We have much in common!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm SO glad you did this!:D

    Ah, TSP. Who couldn't love it?;D

    Susan is great. I always have trouble with that part of the end, too:(

    Bahaha that gif of what's-his-name from Return to Cranford! The perfection!

    It was such fun to read your answers:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Natalie,
    The picture of Anne underneath your introduction is total perfection. :)

    I agree with you about Fanny! Do you remember that part where Mary Crawford "steals" her horse and goes riding all the time on it? I can only imagine how furious I would be if that happened to me! And I always boil up with rage for Fanny's sake while reading/watching that part!

    Ah, wonderful (and poor) Marguerite with all her difficult choices! But I can't feel too sorry for her because she has a most romantic story and she does get happiness in the end. :)

    I'm not a terribly great fan of "Little Dorrit", but that top picture of Arthur? I TOTALLY love it!

    I love your fashion style, and I answered mine in the same vein of "my style if I owned it." I always look on my fashion as a sort of Anne-Cordelia question and always answer it in my own mind with "what I imagine it being is MUCH better." Not, of course, that you want to blind yourself or anything, but it's almost as great fun to imagine lovely clothes as wear them anyway. :)

    And the verse you chose is lovely - so comforting yet instructive at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that little Tom Hiddleston GIF. Sums up the "choose a favorite" problem so nicely!

    I just watched some of the BBC Robin Hood for the first time this month, only 4 eps, but yes, the Sheriff of Nottingham is definitely dastardly!

    I would wear those cowboy boots. And the turquoise skirt. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello from a fellow writer! I just joined the Literary Heroine Blog Party (squeaking in at the last minute!). I love your choice of Susan Pevensie as a favorite character; as a big sister, I know I was always able to relate to Susan! And fun fact, I just heard a sermon on your Bible passage!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kelpie~Thank you! And thanks for commenting!

    Evelyn~Heehee, thanks so much! :D

    Arwen~Thanks! Oh, you like the Scarlet Pimpernel too? How wonderful! :) It's such a good book-and movie!

    Eowyn~Yes!! I do remember that part in MP-it made me so angry too! It's simply terrible how Fanny is treated at times-she's always taken advantage of and taken for granted and expected to make everyone else happy while no one (except Edmund) cares about her own happiness! Do you have a favorite MP movie version you would recommend? I haven't seen any adaptions yet.
    Haha, I like that picture of Arthur too! I like pretty much any picture of Arthur... :)
    Yes, I love having a "dream" wardrobe! I know I'll never own ALL of my dream outfits, but it's still fun to imagine!
    Thank you! I definitely found the verse to be those things-convicting and instructive especially. :)

    Hamlette~Hahaha, thanks! I was happy to find a way to use such a fun gif. :)
    Oh, I hope you're enjoying the show! Yes, the Sheriff is so horrible. But, I suppose that's what makes him such a "good" bad guy.
    Thanks for commenting!

    Hayley~Glad to hear I wasn't the only last-minute entry! Thanks! Yes, I think Susan is a better character than she is usually given credit for! Oh, really? That is so cool! Thanks for commenting and telling me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here I am! And ohhhh, I like your selection of Marguerite Blakeney (I have yet to see the film, though :P) and Susan and Fanny! I like Fanny a lot and I've always related to Susan, too. (I think it's the "older sister" connection.) And that Tom Hiddleston GIF is excellent! ;)

    (P.S. And as a "favorite," generally I'll always vote for turquoise/aqua over navy blue, but I do love that dark blue floral blouse.... :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, hello! :)
      Thank you so much! Oh, do try to see the film soon! I found it on youtube in parts...it's SO good, despite a few negatives that easily could have been left out or changed. (If you'd like to know more you could email me or I could give you the link to a review of it that helped me out before I watched it. Unless of course, you already are aware of its imperfections. :))
      I like Fanny a lot too! More so than I like Edmund...he simply isn't a top Austen hero, unfortunately. :P
      Ah yes, the older sister connection! I'm glad you like Susan too!
      Isn't it though? The whole outfit is simply lovely-and something I could see myself wearing! Sometimes I like certain clothing pieces but honestly don't think I could ever wear them and feel like myself. :)

      Delete
    2. Yes, I do know a bit about the couple negatives, which is why we haven't yet got around to watching it. :p (And bother....isn't it so annoying when they just stick in those couple "easily dispensable parts?") But I don't know exactly where they are. It would be great (while it's still fresh), if maybe you could just tell either Eowyn or I exactly where they were (if you remember). :) But no rush!

      I've come to like Edmund a lot more as I've studied him, but I agree....he does take some study. A very pertinent example of how a strong, upright man can get taken in by a fascinating charmer. (Altogether very well told, but highly irritating by the end! :))

      Delete
    3. Yes, it is EXTREMELY annoying then they add things....especially when it's not even in the original book!
      I'll tell you when I reply to your email! :)

      There WERE parts where I liked Edmund (e.g. when he was nice and considerate to Fanny) but other times....mmm.... Irritating to say the least! :)

      Delete

I love comments as much as I love hot tea and a good book.....well, nearly, anyway!
Please keep your words kind and edifying.