May 21, 2015

"Buy a Bunch of Violets, Sir!"~Inkling Explorations May Link-Up


"Violets," the girl calls in a dismal voice as the street conveyances rattle around her on the grungy cobblestones. Spotting a tall young man carrying a chair, she seizes her opportunity. "Buy a bunch of violets, sir?" she exclaims,  "It'll bring you luck this evening."


"Well," he says with a smile in his voice, "A little luck wouldn't go amiss. Or a bit of brightness." 
He digs into his worn pocket for the coins and she watches him with a slight smile. "Thank you, sir."  She counts the coins and takes in her breath. "Very, very handsome."


 Turning to go, a thought suddenly strikes her and she whips around to see the man ascending the steps to a building. 
"Sir?" He turns, and she plasters a bright smile on her young face. Provocatively brushing back her hair, she suggests, "I'll come up for you....if you like." 
Arthur stares, astounded, taking in this young girl, barely in her teens, offering him--he shakes his head quickly, "No-no, no! That's not..." he trails off, seeing such blue, innocent eyes gazing up at him, much like the blue eyes of another young girl he knows.
His brows knit in consternation.


"Do you have somewhere to sleep tonight?"
After a confused pause, she replies, "Oh! Yes, sir. Bleeding Heart Yard, sir."
"Well, you'd best go there--directly." He hands her another handful of coins, his face still betraying the shock and concern he felt for this young girl.


"Thank you, sir, " she says softly with a young smile. "Good evening." She leaves, a bounce in her step with the thought of the food his gift could buy. 
Clennam stares after her sadly, deeply disturbed and rattled. Why must poverty rob children of everything they own-even their innocence?


At her relatively new writing blog, Sharing the Journey, Heidi has created a monthly link up where we share a scene from a book (or a movie, as I'm doing) that has to do with the month's subject. The subject being "violets" for this month, I was immediately reminded of the flower girl in BBC's Little Dorrit. (As a side note I just finished reading Little Dorrit! It was wonderful!)

I can't remember now if the flower girl was in the book, but I flipped through the pages and couldn't find her, so I'm assuming she was a creation of the film. (If I'm wrong please do tell me.)
That being said, I still wanted to use the scene and decided to write my own narrative. 
Along with screen caps, of course. :)

I always liked this scene a lot, because it reveals even more of Arthur's kindness and gentleness-and, in a way, innocence. He doesn't even think for a moment of taking advantage of this girl-unlike many of the men in his social position in 1800's London, I would think.

Instead he gives her even more money and encourages her to go home. He sees her not only as a young, innocent girl, but a young, innocent girl in the same financial position as his own Little Dorrit-Amy-and yet how differently they go about earning their bread!

Thank you, Heidi, for this fun link up!
Do check out Heidi's blog to participate in the link up yourself-and to enter a giveaway!

19 comments:

  1. I loved this scene. :-)

    And look! That's the girl who plays Margaret Rose in the new movie 'A Royal Night Out!'

    ~ Naomi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait... you wrote down that scene yourself?! I had no idea! I seriously thought it was Dickens. :-) EXCELLENT job, m'dear!

      Delete
    2. Naomi,
      Yes! It is the same girl! I thought of you when I was making this post due to her. :)
      And wow....THANK you!!! You thought it was Dickens??? I am EXTREMELY flattered! Thank you so much!

      Delete
  2. Oh.... Natalie! What a beautiful job! That's such a sweet moment and I'm so happy you thought of it! Honestly, it's probably one of my favorite little scenes of his. I don't remember it being in the book either, but writing it into the film was absolutely brilliant -- telling SO much with so little!! Thanks so much for doing it! And I'm so happy to have it in the link-up! ;)

    (And....and.....and....something came up last night so we weren't able to finish TC :( :P, but we're hoping to tonight and then, rest assured, you'll be hearing from me! ;))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Yes, it's one of my favorite scenes too! It just really stuck out to me the first time we watched LD. I'm so glad you liked it. :) And thank YOU for hosting the link up!

      (Aww, I'm sorry you weren't able to finish it that night.....But, good! I can't wait to hear your thoughts!)

      Delete
  3. How awesome that you wrote it all up yourself! What a charming idea!

    I want to see "Little Dorrit" but my library doesn't have it. Going to look for it at the used book-and-movie store next time I'm there. Everyone raves about it so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hamlette! I really enjoyed putting the movie scene into words. :) It was quite fun!

      Oh yes--you MUST get it sometime....it's so wonderful!

      Delete
  4. This was beautifully written, Natalie. That is a very powerful scene in the movie, and you described Arthur's feelings very well. Excellent job! I like how you included the pictures, too. Lovely post!

    ~Miss March

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your sweet comment, Miss March! :) I enjoyed hearing from you!

      Delete
  5. Natalie!

    I've just tagged you with the 10 Favorite Film Characters Tag here: http://ladyofanorien.blogspot.com/2015/05/100th-post-and-10-favorite-film.html.

    Feel free to do it or not (as you like ;)), but if you do have fun and I can't wait to see your answers!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi! Thank you so much! I actually have been already tagged for this, but I will mention that you tagged me as well when I finally get around to it. :) Thanks!

      Delete
  6. Oh, wow! Like Naomi, I thought it was Dickens too! Amazing job:D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Natalie,
    That's one of my very favorite scenes from the movie! Well, I mean, it's very sad about the girl, but he is so sweet and manages the situation with such a truly gentlemanly air that I can't help but love it!

    Oh, and your transcript/writing of the scene was excellently done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank, you Eowyn! I feel the same way! I just remember loving this scene the first time I saw it, despite the sadness. :)

      Delete
  8. Oh, what a fun scene! I love this thing -- the hunt for violets in literature! I really want to read Little Dorrit. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jillian,
      Thank you so much! Do try Little Dorrit sometime! It was quite a long read for me, but worth it. :) The movie is splendid, too! (although there are a few scenes you may want to skip :))
      thank you for commenting!

      Delete

You're thinking of leaving a comment? Please do! :D
Simply keep your words kind and gracious. Any comments containing mean or ugly words will be deleted immediately.