June 1, 2015

Top 10 (Vintage) Screen Characters

Thanks to my darling friends Olivia and Heidi, I was tagged for the fun "10 Favorite Screen Characters" recently. You're supposed to list 10 of your favorite characters from movies.
Well, since I have absolutely waaaaayyyy too many favorite movie characters, I decided to put my own spin on it (in order to make it easier on myself for narrowing it down haha)and name ten of my favorite vintage screen characters. As in, characters from old black and white (or simply any movie before the 1960s or so) movies.

Without further ado, here are ten (when I could easily list 100 but that's beside the point), in no particular order.


Catherine from A Man Called Peter (a wonderful movie based on the book of the same name by Catherine Marshall-who also wrote the Christy book!)
Catherine is a sweet, lovely woman and her love for Peter throughout the movie is beautiful and touching. She is strong and brave, but feminine, graceful, and kind. I also love her speech towards the beginning at the youth rally about how women have "lost" their feminism.


Oh, Blythe.....this man is such a quiet, gentle character in The Great Escape. He never should have been in the war. He's an avid bird watcher and tea-drinker. He's so sweet, and I really love his character. Anyone who's seen the movie will know why I get sad thinking of him. 


One of my favorite actresses is Teresa Wright, and she plays the simply lovely Peggy in The Best Years of Our Lives. Still living with her parents after World War 2, she works in a hospital and is confident, caring, and capable. (I didn't mean to use all c's, I promise!) Now, her resolve to break up Fred's marriage may have been wrong, but she was right in seeing he didn't love his wife-or she him. Happily, she gives up the idea, but still ends up with who she's meant to be with. (As a side note, Fred and Homer are right up there with Peggy-3 of my very very favorite characters!!!)

Just one more picture because....well, she and Dana Andrews are way too adorable together.


Ginger Rogers in The Major and the Minor is absolutely hilarious as she tries to pass herself off as a young girl in order to get a train ticket for half price. She is taken under the wing of an army major, and trouble ensues-especially when she falls in love with him!
This movie is just so funny and cute and I really need to see it again.






Judah Ben-Hur in (need I really say?) Ben-Hur, is amazing and courageous and his story is absolutely thrilling and inspiring! I really admire his character and all the growth and change it goes through. You really need to see this movie if you haven't. ;)


I love The Pride of the Yankees with Gary Cooper and (guess who?) Teresa Wright. Except this time I'm focusing on Gary cooper's character-Lou is so sweet and down-to-earth (like all of Gary Cooper's characters!). His journey into baseball and his marriage makes such a sweet story-sad ending or not. His speech-and Teresa's bravery- at the end makes me tear up. :(


Jean Arthur and Cary Grant are two other favorite actors of mine in this adorably funny but also dramatic movie called Only Angels Have Wings. I saw it when I was around 10 or 11 and it was kind of my very favorite movie for awhile. I still love it but I haven't seen it in so long-a situation I desperately need to remedy!
Cary Grant is charming in the role of daring Geoff Carter, a courageous (perhaps too courageous?) pilot. His romance with Bonnie is so sweet and adorable and the story is so exciting.


The Hasty Heart is such a sweet, tear-jerking movie centering around Lachlan MacLachlan, a proud and stubborn Scot who rejects all the offers of friendship he receives from the men he is forced to reside with while recovering in a makeshift military hospital.
Lachie is just such a great character and the ending.....oh my. I won't say anymore.




I love the 1940 film of Rebecca and Joan Fontaine is soooo lovely and sweet in it. She plays a shy, slightly naive girl who marries the mysterious master of Manderly. I just love the story and Joan plays such a sweet, befuddled heroine. And I absolutely ADORE her dress (and hair and hat...) in the above scene. Don't you??  (Although I do realize the neckline could be just a trifle higher...)



My family has recently watched the first season of McHale's Navy, a h-i-l-a-r-i-o-u-s show from the 1960's--my absolute favorite character from the show in Captain Binghamton. Although he is the antagonist of the the story, he is soooooooo funny and I do feel bad for him-he may be self-centered and unreasonable at times, but if I had a crew like McHale's I'd probably get EXCESSIVELY annoyed as well.

Plus, this guy is ridiculously quotable.
"What? Whatwhatwhatwhatwhat?"
"I could just scream."
"Nobody likes a smart Lieutenant."
"Where? Wherewherewherewherewhere?"
"What in the blue Pacific..."
"This is the absolute Saturday end."


Aaaannnd that's ten, ladies (and gentlemen??)! This tag was quite fun, although difficult to narrow down to only ten! I tried to mention films I haven't talked about before on my blog, so hopefully you enjoyed it!


Thanks for tagging me, Heidi and Olivia!! :D

18 comments

  1. XD Some great characters! I was going to tag you as part of my Q&A but saw you had been tagged already! :D
    I have to check out some of these films now!!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank you Evie!
      Yes! I do hope you can see some of them! They're really delightful. :)

      Delete
  2. I've seen Teresa Wright in Somewhere in Time, when she was an older woman, but never in any of these movies. I'll have to check out some of these! Great list.

    ~Emma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I've looked up pictures of her and seen her as an older woman-I love how she still looked sweet and simple (in a good way).
      I hope you can watch some of her older movies. And thank you! :)

      Delete
  3. I recognized a few of these characters: Catherine Marshall, Ben-Hur, and Lou Gehrig. We own all three of those movies! :)

    As for the others, I've never even heard of them (except for McHale's Navy). It's crazy how many movies are out there! Thanks for sharing some that are more uncommon. It's fun to discover new films, and some of these look very interesting.

    Great post, Natalie!

    ~Miss March

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yay! We own both A Man Called Peter and Ben-Hur, but we don't own Pride of the Yankees. :)
      Oh, I'm so glad I've "revealed" some new movies to you! I hope you can see them some time-and that you enjoy them!
      Thank you!

      Delete
  4. *Naomi doesn't comment because she hasn't seen any of these movies*

    :-)

    ~ Naomi

    PS Lovely list though. And I want to watch Rebecca now - I ADOOOORE the book. (Have you read the book? Because you should SO badly. :-O)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heehee, you must see them sometime, Naomi! At least watch Rebecca! I would think you like it, since you like the book, but I don't know how different the book is from the movie. I've never read it-I want to very much, but I think I read that it uses God's name with the d-word, and my family doesn't like to watch or read things with that in it. :( If only I knew someone with a marked out copy! haha

      Delete
  5. Great characters. My brothers always suspected Blythe of being a stool pigeon, a spy or a coward. i'm sorry to say I did too until the end.
    I am posting my own 10 favorite screen characters cause I got tagged. You can find it here http://isaacbenjamin.blogspot.com/. I would like to hear what you think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Really? I liked Blythe from the beginning, so it's hard to imagine suspecting him. :)
      Okay. Hopefully I can check out your post sometime. :)
      Thank you for commenting and the follow!

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad you did it:D

    I WANT TO SEE ONLY ANGELS HAVE WINGS!!!! It looks adorable. And classy. And just generally fun;)

    The Hasty Heart looks like a tearjerker. But a good tearjerker:D

    Errrrrk, still need to read and watch Rebecca. The book is waiting on my shelf, but I haven't gotten around to it yet…

    And Captain McHale's Navy looks hilarious!!!!! XD I feel like maybe I've watched a little bit of it a long time ago…anywho, it looks like I must watch it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Olivia, Rebecca is one of my top 10 fave books. Read it!)

      Delete
    2. Heehee--thanks Olivia!
      Yes!! I hope you can too OAHW is SOOO good.
      Ah yes...it is a tearjerker...but it's so worth it. And so is the Rebecca movie! I looovee it.
      Hahaha, it really is. Sometimes old comedy tv shows can get redundant or cliche, but this one kept me laughing...mostly because of the Captain. ;) Without him the show wouldn't be half as funny!

      Delete
  7. Quite a few characters I love here :-) If we ever had another son, we would have named him Judah after Judah Ben-Hur. (Actually, if we ever had another daughter, we would have named her Esther after Esther from that movie/book too.) Blythe -- yes! Peggy -- yes!! Lachie -- yes! All awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, wow! That's so neat. Judah would be a really great name. :) And so is Esther...so pretty!
      Haha, thanks! :D

      Delete
  8. I'm so glad you did it, Natalie!!! ;)

    The Pride of the Yankees looks so good.... And soooo sad. I don't know if I could do it. :P And The Hasty Heart looks super fascinating. Are there any possibly iffy twists?

    And very very funny, indeed ;P -- is that Ben Hur note a direct hint??? :) ;D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Heidi!
    Awww...yes, it is sad. But SO good.I really think you should watch it sometime. And yes! The Hasty Heart is so good too! I'm not quite sure what you mean by iffy twists. :) It's completely clean, if that's what you mean. And--it DOES have a happy (bittersweet) ending!

    Haha, yes, I admit my Ben-Hur description was a bit of a hint to you. ;) Of course, I completely understand if you can't watch it for some reason, but I do hope you will! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Natalie! Another tag for you: http://allthingsbonnyandbeautiful.blogspot.com/2015/06/sisterhood-award.html

    :-D

    ~Emma

    ReplyDelete

I love comments as much as I love hot tea and a good book.....well, nearly, anyway!
Please keep your words kind and edifying.