October 24, 2015

"I shouldn't speak to you..."

Hello all! I'm linking up once again for Heidi's monthly Inklings Explorations. The topic for this month is a gypsy scene in either literature or film. I decided to use Disney's The Hunchback of Notre Dame. If you've seen it, you will know that one of the characters, Esmeralda is a gypsy.



In this scene, a solemnly beautiful moment, Esmeralda is trapped inside Notre Dame, the church she had turned to for sanctuary. Hunted down by the villain of the story, Judge Frollo, she can't step outside without forfeiting the protection the church affords her. Outside, Frollo would have her killed for no more than the fact that she is a gypsy.

While inside, Esmeralda rankles at how her people are treated so badly. All their lives, gypsies have been thought of as thieving, murdering outcasts. The ones unlike that are never even given a chance.


Esmeralda talks with a kindly priest of these atrocious injustices. And while in Notre Dame, she feels herself looking for hope in a place she never looked for it before.

I hope Heidi doesn't mind if a use a clip of Esmeralda's song for this post instead of elaborating more.  It's a beautiful song, and I do hope you'll give it a listen if you haven't heard it before.




I want to say (without the intention to offend anyone!) that I while I realize the Catholic church is a correct portrayal of the major "denomination" in the Middle Ages,  I don't quite agree with the message it sends. I only mention this because in The Hunchback of Notre Dame the characters are shown (presumably) praying/talking to Mary and/or the saints and I don't believe this is correct. I believe we should pray only to God through Jesus Christ. No where in the Bible does it actually mention praying to anyone but Him. 

I don't say this to offend anyone. I myself come from a Catholic background! I know some of my readers are Catholic, so please do NOT think I mention this to point out anyone. I simply felt the need to put a little "disclaimer" here. ;) I sincerely hope no one minds my saying so!

And of course, this should be a given, but if you're Catholic please don't feel that our differences bar you in any way from my blog! You all are welcome and I enjoy each and everyone one of the comments I receive from my darling readers! You all are so sweet and encouraging.

Thank you again, Heidi, for such a fun link up!!

18 comments:

  1. Isn't that a lovely song? I've never watched The Hunchback of Notre Dame before, but I might have to do it just for that song :)

    Well . . . I'm Roman Catholic, myself, and I certainly don't MIND you saying that--it's your opinion, and everyone is entitled to their opinion, especially about religion! I'd just like to point out, though, that when we Catholics say we are "praying to Mary," we actually do NOT mean that we're literally praying to her in the same way that we pray to God. When we "pray" to Mary or to another saint, all we're really doing is asking THEM to pray for US. It's really just the same as if I asked you, as my friend, to pray for me if I needed help :) I wanted to explain that because I know it's a little confusing, and I've talked to some non-Catholics who didn't realize we weren't actually "worshiping" Mary until I explained it to them.

    Also, if you don't mind my saying so, I really do think that, as a Catholic, having a relationship with Mary has helped me to grow much closer to Jesus, because I can feel how much she loves Him, and that encourages me to love Him more myself. Again, you don't have to agree with me. That's just what my own experience has been--and it's part of the reason why I do believe that "praying" (or talking) to Mary is a good thing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting, Jessica!
      Yes, I do hope you can try it sometime! It's such a good movie. Although from what I've heard of the original story it's QUITE different...in a good way. ;)

      Thanks or explaining that! That certainly makes more sense, and I get what you're saying. And I certainly respect you for your beliefs, even if I don't quite agree. ;)
      I can definitely see how Mary could be a encouragement for your relationship with Jesus. Being the mother of Him, I certainly imagine she loved Him VERY VERY much! :) Not only as her son but as her Savior as well.

      Thank you for explaining your views! It's encouraging to be able to talk about our differences with respect and kindness. I'm glad you commented! Even if our "denominations" are different, we're both sisters in Christ as long as we're trusting in Him for our salvation...which is all that really matters in the long run! :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for your kind answer, Natalie! I'm very grateful that you aren't "mad" or anything because I wanted to explain what my own beliefs were :) And that's exactly right--even though we don't believe exactly the same things, we DO both believe in Jesus as our Savior, and that makes us sisters in Christ despite our differences.

      Yes, indeed, she loves him very VERY much! And so does Joseph, his foster-father :) When I get married and have my own kids I'm going to try and make sure to have both a "Mary" and a "Joseph" among them, because you can't get much better role models than that ;)

      Delete
    3. Aww, your welcome, Jessica. Thank YOU for understanding too! :D I'm so glad you feel the same.

      Mary and Joseph are such nice names, and you're right-what amazing role models they are! I love Biblical names. :) There's a lot of really good ones-especially for guys, in my opinion. One of my personal favorites is Gideon. :)

      Delete
    4. I know, right? I love the name Gabriel . . . and I also really like Ruth and Esther. Oh, and Madgalene is such a pretty name too, isn't it? I had a great-great-grandmother who came from Lithuania, and HER first name was Magdalena. Good choice, I think :)

      Delete
    5. I like Ruth and Esther too! I also LOVE Elizabeth. It's one of my favorite names ever. I've never met anyone named Magdalena before, but you're right, it is a very pretty name! I think it would make a very beautiful character name in a story...hmm..I'll have to keep it in mind! :D Thank you! Do you like researching name meanings? I personally find them so interesting!

      Delete
    6. I love researching names :) Not so much the meanings, actually, but just all the different varieties for every language and culture. I'm especially into Irish Gaelic names--they're just SO beautiful! I seriously want to use some for my own kids. Like Saoirse (you say it Sear-sha and it means "freedom"). Honestly, wouldn't that just be the best name ever?

      Delete
    7. Wow, that is a very beautiful name! I haven't looked into many Irish Gaelic names, but I think I liked the ones I heard. :)

      Delete
  2. What a lovely song!! Thanks! I didn't know it existed and now I wuv it soooo much. I'm adding it to my playlist :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rosie!! Isn't it though? I'm so happy my post introduced it to you! :D

      Delete
  3. Sadly, we're supposed to watch out internet bandwidth, so I'll have to wait on listening to the song ;P, but it looks absolutely beautiful!! (And hee, I don't mind at all. It's perfect! ;D) And oh oh oh ohhhhh.... that stained glass screen cap.... Woooooow. I really need to read the book and watch this sometime. :)

    And.... (if you like, of course), I've also tagged you. I know what it's like having tons of tags pile up, but I thought you might find this one fun: http://ladyofanorien.blogspot.com/2015/10/the-bedtime-movie-tag.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's all right. I understand that trouble-we used to have to watch our bandwidth too when we lived somewhere else and had a different company. Do tell me when/if you watch the song, though! :) And I'm glad you don't mind!

      I hope you can see the movie sometime!! I like it a lot, and the music is SO wonderful!

      Thanks again for the tag! ;)

      Delete
  4. This is such a beautiful song!
    Good choice, Nathalie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How in the world did I miss this?!?! This is my faaaaaaavorite Disney movie ever (well, it might be tied with Pocahontas, I'm not actually sure), and I ADORE this scene. It's just stunning. PERFECT choice!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olivia, Haha, that's right! I forgot about this post, but I remember waiting for your comment, knowing how much you love this movie. That's all right, though, I don't mind. :)
      Thank you!!! Yessss, isn't it amazing???

      Delete

You're thinking of leaving a comment? Please do! :D
Simply keep your words kind and gracious. Any comments containing mean or ugly words will be deleted immediately.