November 6, 2015

A party is a party...but a Jane Austen party?



In accordance with Naomi's Jane Austen Week, here are my answers to the lovely tag she created!

1. On a scale of 1 to 10, how much of a Jane Austen fan do you consider yourself?
Oh dear, I do abhor "on a scale from 1 to 10..." questions. Hee. Um, I do love her books and some of the movies, but I still have yet to read Sense and Sensibility and Persuasion...I feel like I get points off for that...so I'm going to say...a 8. Or perhaps an 9?

isn't this sooo beeaauutifuull??
2. If "they" would make a new Jane Austen Movie, and you would be able to be cast in it, which Jane Austen character would you most like to play?
Heehee, how fun. Ummm..would it be terribly cliché of me to say Elizabeth Bennet?

If not her, I'd love to play Eleanor Tilney.

3. Is there any felicity in the world superior to a walk?
No, no, indeed, dear Naomi. A walk is the most excellent form of exercise and refreshment.

4. Who's your favourite Jane Austen 'villain'? (As in 'villain' meaning 'the bad guy.')
I have a soft spot for Willoughby...from the 1995 version. He's horrible and bad, but I can't help feeling a little sorry for him at the end when he rides off dejectedly on his horse. :( I think he could have changed his life, if he wanted to. I think he perhaps even thought of doing so.

Unlike, say, Wickham. He's just terrible.



5. What/Who introduced you to Jane Austen?
My dear mother. :) She showed me the 1995 version of Pride and Prejudice and immediately afterwards I checked out the book from the library forthwith.

6. Did you love/enjoy Jane Austen immediately, or has there been a time when you hated (um, prejudged) it?
Never! I've always adored Jane Austen, ever since my first introduction to her. #seeabove

7. Who, in your opinion, is the funniest Jane Austen character?
Mr. Palmer from the 1995 Sense and Sensibility and Miss Bates from the 1996 Emma are both very funny. But, I think the prize must go to the 1995 Pride and Prejudice Mr. Collins.



8. Do you quote Jane Austen randomly in public?
I'm sure I have. When I'm talking with someone who would understand the reference.

9. Are children allowed to eat cake on weddings?
Yes!!! And on birthdays. And special events. And when their mother randomly decides she needs to bake a cake (-cough- which shall be me someday  -cough-).

10. What is your reaction when you hear that an acquaintance (e.g. A lady at Church) of yours loves Jane Austen?
"Really?? Oh that's so cool! Which of her books is your favorite? Which movies have you seen? Do you have a favorite character?"



11. Who writes better letters, Mr. Darcy or Captain Wentworth? (If you forgot what the letters were, shame on you, instead tell me if you prefer Strawberries to Chocolate or not.)
I'm going to be loyal to my first Jane Austen hero and say Mr. Darcy.

(plus I haven't read Persuasion so I feel ill qualified.)

12. Which Jane Austen heroine do you relate the least to?
Mmmm...I can relate more or less to all of her heroines, in some way or another, but I think perhaps Emma. She's an extroverted, glittering social queen.... and I'm just not like that.

Although I can sympathize with her--she's such a refreshingly real heroine because of her flaws and struggles, and even if I don't relate to her in all ways, I love her story.



13. What's your favourite Jane Austen house (from one of the movies)?
Pemberly, o' course. Or Barton Cottage. I like that one too.



14. What's your favourite Jane Austen dress (from one of the movies)?
I am hereby rewriting this question into

 "What's ONE of your favorite Jane Austen dresses (from one of the movies)?"

Along with the correct American spelling of favorite. hee

Catherine's white blue floral dress that she wears to her first ball in Bath is just sooo pretty. I love it.


15. Can you turn off lit candles with your fingers?
Yes, I can!! Aren't I talented?


I've now learned from Naomi that Sir Lucas' correct name is "The Capital Capital Man".



Thank you for this marvelous tag and party, Naomi!!!


awwww poor Mr. Darcy. 

28 comments:

  1. Loved your answers!!! ;) And we both picked Mr. Collins!!! ;)

    Lovely encapsulation on Emma. Similar here. It's taken me a loooooong time to relate to her and I'm definitely still not at ALL like her personality-wise, but as I've read/watched the story over and over she's become one of my favorite heroines and I've started identifying with her in ways I'd never dreamed likely or possible. :P

    And Natalie, dear, thou MUST read Persuasion. PLEASE, soon???? ;D (Oh yes, you're finishing ROTK... which is MOST important. Okay, Persuasion ASAP?? ;))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi,
      Thank you!! And yes, heehee, we did! :D Great minds think alike. ;)

      Aw, glad you can relate!

      Heehee, I do want to, terribly!!! The thing is, I don't yet own it, but I do own S&S so I feel I should read that one first. And oh yes, I have a stack of library books, and you're right, ROTK....the life of a book lover. ha I promise it's on my list, though. ASAP! :D

      Delete
  2. I loved reading your answers! Wow, you can turn off a lit candle with your fingers? I've never tried.

    I love Barton Cottage! Oh and I also REALLY LOVE Delaford, I would just be ecstatic if I could live there :)

    Oh but - wait. You like Willoughby? I do NOT. No indeed . . . Because of what he did to Eliza Williams, I just can not like him. Soary :P

    P.S. Poor Mr. Darcy. My heart bleeds for him, if that's the word I want, Jeeves. You know, I'm a lot like that myself. I've heard that Mr. Darcy is an INTJ personality and that's what I am. So I feel for him soooo bad there :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosie, Haha, well it's pretty simply once you can get over the "fear" of doing it...it just goes against my nature to actually stick my fingers in the flame, haha. I'd recommend wetting your fingers first. It helps. ;)

      No, no, I agree about that! Willoughby has done terrible things, his treatment of Eliza being the worst, and his subsequent "desertion" of Marianne being second. But, at least in the '95 version, I feel like he DOES have some regret. Not as much as he should, but some. I think because of that he had the chance to be redeemed, or at least become a better man, but he didn't choose to do so. And because of that "glimmer of hope" I have more sympathy towards him than I otherwise would have.
      Does that make sense? You don't have to agree, of course. :)

      Really?? That's so neat you can "relate" to him. And yes, poor Mr. Darcy!! :(

      Delete
    2. Ahh I see. Yes, wetting the fingers would probably be advisable.

      Hmm, yes that makes sense. I guess you're saying you feel symmpathetic towards the '95 Willoughby? I can understand that . . . I feel that the '95 version changed him from how he was in the book. In the book he is NOT sorry for the things he did, and I think of the "book Willoughby" whenever I hear about him. So *I* personally don't like him. At ALL. But I understand what you're saying. Totally :)

      Yes, poor Mr. Darcy :P

      Delete
    3. Rosie,
      Well, if he's totally unrepentant in the book then I definitely can see why you don't like him. :)

      Delete
  3. I love the P&P 05 picture. Soooooooooooooo awesome. And so accurate. (The poor guy.)

    I do highly recommend Persuasion. No pressure--honestly!--I just wanted to tell you that I think it's really, really good. Jane Austen's BEST novel, without a doubt. And that letter! The letter at the end . . . gee. You'll be blown away. Seriously. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica,
      Haha, I know! He has his struggles, just like Lizzy. :(

      Thank you!! Don't worry, I'm dyyyying to read it....it's just a matter of buying the book and starting it. :)
      Eek! You're making me so excited for it now! :D

      Delete
  4. Yay, you did it!!! Thanks for taking the time, Natalie!

    I know. Whilloughby CAN change. More than Wickham. :-D
    The 'Do the Mr Collins Wave' picture makes me snicker EVERY. TIME. Me and my brothers like to give each other little Mr Collins waves. Oh, and me and my sister. (Basically me with anyone who knows what I'm doing. Haha.)

    HAHAHA. You ARE cheeky! Favorite, indeed. :-) (I get why you changed the question though. It's really mean. MWUHAHA.) I like that dress of Catherine, but I don't really love it, actually. I think the cut and the sleeves is a bit weird.

    ~ Naomi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naomi,
      Thank you!!! I wished I could have posted more during the week, but I never seem to have time enough for more than the tag post during blog parties. :/ Perhaps I need to prepare for them the moment they're announced. I'm -cough- not very good at preparing posts in advance, I'm afraid.

      Haha, how fun!!! My friend quoted the "do the Mr. Collins wave" once and it made me very happy. :D

      Yes, yes, it was a mean question, Naomi. :P heehee Perhaps it was mean of me to make fun of the British spelling, though...I do love you Brits very much. ;) (but wait...would you be called British or European? I can't keep it all straight. You're half British right? Well then, it works. Heehee)
      Well, that's all right. I admit the cut is a bit odd, but I like the rest of the dress so much that I don't really mind it. :)

      Delete
    2. I'm bad at preparing posts in advance, too. That's why The Week was a lot of work for me. Haha. :-)
      My passport says I'm British as well as Belgian, so yes, you can call me British! :-D

      Delete
    3. Haha, well, glad I'm not the only one.
      Okay, good! :D

      Delete
  5. Ahhhh what a neat post! I loved reading your answers! And I think the pic at the end is kind of sweet and sad. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phoebe,
      Thank you so much for your sweet comment! Aww, yes, it is a bit sad. Poor Mr. Darcy!

      Delete
  6. That last picture of Darcy, though…XD

    Lovely answers! I really enjoyed your use of pictures, especially:D

    Yes, Emma's story is so good and engaging because it's so REAL. I don't think I relate to her very much, either, but I too like the story:D

    That dress and shawl of Kate Winslet's from the picture of her and Greg Wise! *drools*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and the soundtrack that plays at that particular time.. OHMYGOSH!

      Delete
    2. Olivia,
      Thank you!!
      Yes, exactly so! She's very real and true-to-life.
      It is pretty, isn't it? I love that color. :)

      Evie, Yes!! It's so beautiful! :D

      Delete
  7. Excellent! Good job getting this done, Natalie! I was waiting for this post! :)

    No, it's not too cliché to say Elizabeth! Elizabeth would be so much fun to play! Oh, and you picked Eleanor Tilney, too! (She's one of the ones I mentioned.) She really would be cool to play, wouldn't she? I mean, she has a brother named Henry!!! ;)

    Ditto on the subject of Willoughby. You're right, he really could have changed his life...and I do believe he almost wanted to. He just wasn't strong enough to say no to his own comfort. It really is very easy to feel sorry for him.

    The Mr. Collins wave!! Haha!

    Oh, and I really liked your answer to number 10. My answer was different in my post, of course...but I could definitely see myself reacting just like you described. Going through all the questions of "which is your favorite book? Favorite movie? Favorite character?" Oh yes.

    12. Good answer, again. I think all of her heroines are relatable in some way. It's very hard to choose which one you relate to the least. Oh, and I like what you said about Emma. That she is a "refreshingly real heroine." That is such a good description.

    15. Very talented indeed, Natalie. You amaze me! (Heehee)

    Sir Lucas' real name--"The Capital-Capital Man" Ha! Yes. I think Naomi may have started something there! ;)

    ~Miss March

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss March,
      Thank you!! :)

      Oh good, glad you think so. Yes! And OH YES! haha I have a great liking to heroes names Henry. ;)

      Exactly so- "He just wasn't strong enough to say no to his own comfort". I think that sums it up, unfortunately. :(

      Thank you!!

      And yes, she definitely did. :D

      Delete
    2. A great liking to heroes named Henry? Hmmm...I wonder why... ;)

      Delete
    3. You of all people you should know this. ;) heehee (goodness, I haven't worked on my story lately-shameful I know-but just mentioning his name makes me SO excited to pick it up again!!!)

      Delete
  8. Okay, so that Mr. Darcy picture at the end -- that is EXACTLY what runs through my head So Very Often in social situations. I mean, I was visiting a friend last week and sitting on the couch by her 12-year-old daughter when suddenly everyone else left the room and all I could think was, "I need to say something! I'm the adult here! Surely I can think up something to say! What can I say? Oh, what an awkward silence. And there aren't any boiled potatoes to talk about. ACK!" I pretended my coffee was REALLY tasty. I completely fail at small talk.

    Please read Persuasion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel you, Hamlette--really, I do :) That's happened to me a bunch too.

      Delete
    2. Me too. But not just a bunch . . . basically all the time :( I'm working on it though.

      Delete
    3. Hamlette, Hahaha, yes!! I too can relate. Social situations can just be so awkward. I hate how afterwards I always know what I should have said, or shouldn't have said, or should have said instead.....yeah. And yes! Small talk is hard! I've heard that asking questions and being inquisitive (in a nice way) is always a good way to keep a conversation going...but I can never think of anything to ask during those moments! hahahaha
      Thanks for your story! It was funny and encouraging that adults have these moments too! ;)

      Delete
    4. And oh! Yes! I promise to read Persuasion. :)

      Delete
    5. :-D You don't have to love it! Honest. We can still be friends if you don't :-)

      Delete
    6. Heehee, of course! I'm pretty positive I will love it though. ;)

      Delete

I love comments as much as I love hot tea and a good book.....well, nearly, anyway!
Please keep your words kind and edifying.