November 28, 2015

Alethea and Her Exciting News

Finally, the third installment of my character interviews. Blog readers, meet Alethea, my main character and heroine of my story. (please stay tuned because at the bottom of the post I will be revealing an exciting announcement concerning her book thankyou.)

Alethea is a princess. She's a funny thing. When I started my book, I saw her as a very bright, sparkling personality. While she does have the ability to bring sunshine into others lives, she is rather more quiet and reflective than I first imagined. Of course, nothing's wrong with that. :) But it's funny how much your characters can change when you're recording their life.

I don't want to give away too much, but I feel I must explain that in the story Alethea loses her memory. She is separated from her family when this happens, and thus can't remember who she is, where she belongs, and how to find her family again.

this is one of the original inspiration photos for Alethea

I think I got all my questions from the Beautiful People archives, but there are some questions I have that are not from their archives...and I can't remember where I got them. Oh well. :/


As with Henry and Arthur, I'm going to conduct this interview with Alethea herself. Alethea, please meet my blog readers.

Alethea: -looks confusedly at the screen- Um, hello.
Me: Are you ready to answer a few questions for me?
Alethea: I suppose so.
Me: All right.  You're in a crisis: who would you really like to see right now?
Alethea: My father. Or any of my family members.
Me: Could you tell us about your family? Now that you're able?
Alethea: Well, my father is the king of the country neighboring Henry's. He's very wise and protective. I always feel safe if he is nearby-or one of my brothers.
Me: How many brothers do you have?
Alethea: As if you didn't know!
Me: Humor me. It's for my blogging friends; they don't know.
Alethea: I have five brothers-all older than me.

Are you easy to get along with?
Alethea: -laughs- I-I think so. No one's ever told me the contrary! Unless, perhaps, Jacob, one of my brothers said so.
she's so pretty!!

You’re in the middle of a huge crowd of people: how do you feel?
Alethea: If alone, I'd feel frightened and nervous. I'd wish for my father or one of my brothers or-
Me: Don't say that. I don't want any spoilers here.
Alethea: You want that kept secret?
Me: Yes, definitely.
Alethea: All right. Well, then I'll leave it at that.

-we both smile secretly-


What is the cruelest thing someone has ever said to you? How did you react?
Alethea: I can't think of a specific instance but there is definitely a person who has treated me cruelly. He has caused me to have feelings of fear, hopelessness, and hatred at different times.

What’s the kindest thing someone has ever said to you? How did you react?
Alethea: Can I say?
Me: Go ahead.
Alethea: Arthur's mother was so kind to me when I came to her for refuge. She said, "Dearest, you can stay here as long as you like.  Consider this your home-forever if need be."
Alethea: -smiles- She's so very kind. I don't know what I would have done without her.


Any enemies?
Alethea: -takes a deep breath-
Me: Oh yes. She does. That's all that needs to be said.


Would you rather be hated for being who you are or loved for pretending to be someone else? 
Me: Wow, I find this question very interesting concerning your story.
Alethea: Yes...
-a few moments pass as Alethea ponders the question-
Alethea: -stirs in her seat- I suppose I'd choose the former. I've been through enough not knowing who I was. I don't think I could possibly be happy pretending to be someone I'm not.

Do you cry? 
Alethea: -makes a face- I cry much too easily and frequently.
Me: But, to your defense, you go through a lot. All of your tears are justified.
Alethea: Well, obviously not all are as you already cut my crying out of that scene you just edited.....
Me: Hush. It was necessary. Considering all the times you cry later, having you cry over such a little thing in comparison would have been excessively boring and tedious.


Do you think inside yourself more than you talk out loud to you friends? (more importantly, do you actually have friends?)
Alethea: Oh, I feel like I'm always left on my own with my thoughts. For most of the time, anyways. And yes, I suppose I do have two friends in particular, but I still am unable to talk with them of the things that really weighed on my mind.
Me: I think a lot of people went through a phase in the story where they didn't have a close confidant, but I admit you probably had it the worst.
Alethea: -sarcastically- Yes, thank you for that.
Me: It was necessary.

Is there something you are afraid of?
Alethea: Of never seeing my family again.

What is one of your strongest childhood memories?
Alethea: -smiles- One of my favorites is the game my brothers and I played-we created our own pretend kingdom and we all had a special character role in it that we always played as. As I was the youngest, usually my only duty involved being the distressed maiden needing to be rescued.

Me:  Thank you so much, Alethea. I'm going to finish the rest of the interview on my own, but I really appreciate you. You know how much I love you. :)
Alethea: -laughes- Thank you. And yes, I do know. You hardly let a day go by without squealing about how much you love your characters. :)
Me: Very true.

Do they turn to people when they're upset, or do they isolate themselves? 
Alethea would naturally turn to her family when upset, but during the story, she is separated from them and when things start to go terribly wrong she tends to find quiet corners off to herself.

Have they inherited any physical resemblances from their parents?
Yes. Alethea looks like her mother. She has her long, curling reddish-gold hair and the same gentle, gracious demeanor. But she also has her father's bright blue eyes and his fierce, protective spirit.

What type of laugh does she have?
A really golden, joyous laugh.


 Describe your character’s personality first in one word, and then elaborate with a few sentences.
Strength. At the beginning of the story, and through much the rest, Alethea does not seem strong. She is easily fooled and taken advantage of. She lets her fear and doubt paralyze her. But, she learns she DOES have strength. How much she has is left open to speculation...because, you know, spoilers and all that.


And, here is the obligatory theme song....


I really love this song for Alethea because it describes her struggle to "find herself" after she loses her memory and to "play a part" that she is led to believe she has to. 

Annnnd, the obligatory snippet....

"Excuse me a moment." he dropped Alethea's hand and walked off, leaving her alone. Her stomach felt cold and tears sprang to her eyes unbidden. Cheeks flaming, she made her way off the ballroom floor and out one of the smaller doors. 
It was dark and quiet and cool inside the great hall. She walked quickly to the staircase and sat down, her golden skirt settling with a rustle.The sound of the ball was muffled and she allowed herself to brood silently. I can't believe he left me like that. I've never been so humiliated-how could he-doesn't he think I have any feelings at all? She bit her lip and brushed her eyes. 
"I seem to always find you in some sort of distress," came a voice out of the darkness.

~~

(I'm sorry it's so short and cryptic but I feel like being secretive right now)



Now for my news, which I'm sure some of you scrolled through the above post just so you could read the news first.

You horrible people.



My news... is.....



MY BOOK IS DONE. 

MY BOOK IS DONE.

MY BOOK IS DONE!!!!!!!!

Ahem.

On November 24th,  at approximately 8:49 pm, I wrote the last line of my book and promptly burst into tears.



I was suddenly overwhelmed. It's finished. I have been writing this book for a year and a half and now it's DONE. WHAT DO I DO WITH MY LIFE NOW???



I wondered how much I would cry when I finished it (I knew I'd at least tear up) but I was honestly shocked by how violently my body reacted to the immense joy, relief, sadness, and disbelief.


It took me a long time to get my self under control. I would listen to music and then suddenly burst into tears again.


Thankfully my family was gone for the evening, so I could scream and jump around and dance all I wanted!!! Without any embarrassment, that is. :D

hey look, it's Arthur

squeeeeeeeeeee


It's done, everyone. My first book EVER to be completed is done.



Well. Now comes editing. :P


ps. Happy (late) Thanksgiving! As you can well guess, one of the biggest things I was thankful for this year was finishing my book. God is so good to me for helping me get this far. I know he'll take me the rest of the way. :)

24 comments

  1. Aw, Natalie, I'm so glad that you've finished your book! You better post at least some of it on here! Or at least on wattpad or something. I'd love to read it sometime. Congratulations! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna,
      Thank you so much! :D It's VERY exciting! And yes! I plan on self-publishing it, actually. So, it'll be available on amazon if all goes well. :) I'd love to have you read it!

      Delete
  2. Hahaha, but I was just so curious! I HAD to scroll down!

    YOU FINISHED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! Natalie! I'm so happy for you!!!!!!! This deserves celebrating. :-) That must feel amazing. :-)

    ~ Naomi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naomi,
      Hahahaha, why am I not surprised. ;) (don't worry I understand though ha)

      YES!!! AND THANK YOU!! It does feel amazing. I'm so so happy! :D

      Delete
  3. YOUR BOOK IS DONE!!!! OH MY WORD NATALIE THIS IS SO AWESOME!!!! I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!

    The interview was really fun too. :-)

    Hope you had a happy Thanksgiving!

    ~Emma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma,
      Thank you!!!!! I know!! Oh, it's so fantastic. I can still hardly believe it. :D
      I hope you did as well! I just celebrated Thanksgiving today with my extended family and it was nice. :)
      Glad you enjoyed the post!

      Delete
  4. ASDLKAHDFLKGLKAJSDJKGASLKDGL WHAAAAAAAAAAAT?!?!?!?!?!?!

    You finished it?!?! You finished it!!!

    Natalie, that is SUCH awesome news! CONGRATULATIONS! *stars and confetti* *I* actually read the post the whole way through, and did NOT jump ahead;) But this of course is the greatest part of the post, so, ya know, I had to comment on it first;)

    THIS IS SO EXCITING! And right in time for Christmas too! *wild applause* Congrats, old girl. You did it :)

    ….So I know I've mentioned this like three times already but you do have my email….y'know….in case you'd like to send me a certain something….;)

    NOW on to other stuff…THE HEADER NATALIE THE HEADER! Wow. All da beautiful pictures!!!!

    Alethea sounds like a great character. I think I'm gonna like her muchly;) Aaaaaaand I already know with whom I ship her. I probably SHOULDN'T, but I do. And I don't think anything will make me change my mind, even IF (perish the thought) it doesn't end like I'm HOPING it will end…siiiiiiiiiigh I'm excited to read this, in case you couldn't tell;)

    This post. All the feels.

    NATALIE YOU FINISHED IT!!!! Be proud of yourself, girl, you deserve it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olivia,
      :D YEEEESSS!!!! THANK YOU!!!! -basks in the stars and confetti- I'm so happy. :D I can't wait for all you lovely people to read it!!! I know!! My goal was to finish it by the end of the year....and I did! With time to spare! :D
      Yes, yes, yes, goodness, you'd think I didn't already promise to let you beta read...;) (haha)

      Thank you! It's definitely one of my favorite headers. So many favorite movies are on it! :)

      Aww, I'm so glad! And yes, hahaha, we already covered all this so....

      Thank you!! :D :D

      Delete
  5. YOUR BOOK IS FINISHED?!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations! That is so cool! Pleeeeeease could you post some of it some time? It sounds so wonderful!

    I loved reading about Alethea. She is a very interesting and deep character. The theme song is so amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosie,
      THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! :D I plan on self-publishing it, actually. So, you know, if all works out, it'll be available on amazon as a paperback or kindle, I think. :)

      Thank you! I'm so glad you like her! :D

      Delete
    2. Oi! That's wonderful! I can't wait :)

      Yes, she is the kind of heroine I like best: introverted and strong. Plus she's soooo pretty!

      Delete
    3. :D Thank you!!!

      Yes, exactly! Haha, isn't she though? I'd certainly love to to have hair like hers...so long!

      Delete
  6. Congratulations!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!! YAY!!!!! YAAAAAAAYYYYYY!!!!!!

    You finished your book! That must be such an amazing feeling--but I understand how it could be sad, too. Don't worry, though--you can still do the editing and all that, so it's not like you have to completely "leave" the story. Plus, when you finish this book for good, you can actually get it PUBLISHED--and how cool is THAT???

    Alethea seems like such a lovely person. Curling red-gold hair . . . sighhhhhhh. I always wanted something like that myself ;) And I'm very excited that she turned out to be rather quiet, because I LOVE quiet, introverted heroines and there just aren't enough of them out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica,
      THANK YOU!!! :D Yay!!!!! Oh, I'm so happy about it. :)
      It was! Amazing and sad, that is. Definitely a bittersweet experience. I know, right? I already started editing and I LOVE being able to go back and "relive" my story from the beginning. It's great. :)

      YES. So true. Before I finished this, there were so many nights I'd lay awake dreaming of the "one day possibility" of publishing my book and holding it in my hands... a real copy of MY book. Goodness, it still makes excited. :)

      Thank you! I'm so glad you like her! Quiet and introverted heroines are the ones I relate to the most, so I'm glad you think so too. :)

      Delete
  7. I'm so glad I didn't cheat and scroll to the bottom because then you would have been scolding me under the title of 'horrible people'. I feel like Anna, from Frozen when she and Kristoff are running from the wolves: K: "You almost set me on fire!", A: "But I didn't!" Yup, I'm Anna in this moment. :)

    That's great news about finishing your book! I LOOOVE all the gifs because I remember feeling the same way when I finished my first book. I didn't know what to do with myself. I think the second gif is what I did the most. It was terrible on my hair but still. And the jumping up and down, I don't normally do that but it was a special occasion. :) Unfortunately, my family was at home. But, my bedroom door was closed so all they heard was a kind of thumping. Hahaha.

    This was an interesting post... For me personally, even though I have thousands of characters in my head, it would be hard to do an interview as them. So, well done! (You can't see, but I just did a little clapping in your honor. :D)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cordy,
      Ah well, it would have been all right if you did. To tell the truth, I probably would have scrolled down, if it wasn't my own post. ;)
      Hahaha, yes! That scene is so cute and funny!

      Thank you!!! I know, I'm SO happy. You've finished a book yourself?? That's so fantastic!! And wonderful that you can relate. :D
      Yes, that hair gif is one of my personal favorites too! Hahahaha, I don't know what my family would have thought if they were home...they'd be super concerned. ;) heehee

      Aww, thank you so much!! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I love doing the interviews, personally. Alethea was actually the hardest I've done so far (I've also done two others) but it's still great fun to imagine what your character would say. :)

      Delete
  8. Well, *I* read the post the whole way through in it's correct chronological order. ;P Alethea sounds quite a lot like my heroine in my war world 2 story (except she looks the exact opposite, hehe) and I thought she sounded like a very relatable character that you could understand. :) I like those kind of characters. She sounds like she has a rather hard life but comes out the stronger and the happier for it. :)
    And yay, you finished your book!!!!! And oh my word, I'm still getting over that Frodo "I can't" gif - it's hilarious. XD Oh and hey, I didn't know Arthur could dance like that. ;D It must be the most amazing feeling! I can't wait till I can finish one of mine. *happy sigh* And you are hoping to self publish it?! Yay for you!! :D This post is so blissfully happy.
    ~Miss Meg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for your, Miss Meg! :D haha At least I can trust some of my readers! ;)
      Aww, thank you so much! How fun that our heroines are similar--and I'm so glad you think you'll like her! :D
      I knnoooooww!! Eek, I'm so happy. :D Haha, I didn't know Arthur could dance (like that!) either!
      I hope you finish one of your stories soon too! I KNOW you can do it...I did it and it's taken me ever so long...I was starting to despair of ever finishing one! So keep at it. I know it will happen to you too someday!!

      Delete
  9. Wait, Alethea's a redhead?!?!? I love it!! ;D

    *Concludes a happy dance* It's been almost exactly one week and I'm still grinning....

    Again, I'm there for you every step of the way, dear, whenever you need it.... both editing and publishing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D Yes, yes she is! Awwwww, thank you!! I know....it's still so surreal and I get all happy thinking about it!

      Thank you so much! I was just thinking of that the other day...publishing, I mean.... and I was SO happy I'd be able to ask you any of the questions I have-since that will be new territory, indeed! :D

      Delete
  10. You did it! You did it! Oh, Natalie! I'm so excited for you! You finished a book! You actually finished one! Oooh!!!! That has got to be one of the most amazing feelings ever! (Am I using too many exclamation points? Sorry, I just don't know what else to use.) And you cried when you came to the end? Aw, Natalie. *hugs* I'd never really considered how emotional it would be to finish a story, but your description sounds so right. I can see myself reacting just the same way. "Joy, relief, sadness, and disbelief." Ach. Yes.

    Oh my. I'm so excited! Does this mean I get to read it soon? I didn't realize you were that close to being done! And it's wonderful that you actually met your goal for finishing it this year...with time to spare, too! Good work, Natalie! (Haha! Did you actually dance? That's so fun!)

    I must say a word about Alethea since, after all, this is her post. ;) First off, she sounds like she's going to be an excellent heroine. I agree with Jessica Prescott, quiet and introverted heroines are far too scarce. You were awfully secretive during this interview, though. The least you could have done was to let the poor girl finish her sentence. Who is the other person she would wish for when feeling frightened and alone? You mean you're not going to tell us? You're just going to leave us hanging like that? (Oh, stop. It isn't nice of you to smile secretly at our expense. Have a heart. Haha!) Also, I noticed that you conveniently did not mention the names of her two particular friends. Now I am quite curious to find out who they are as well. She deserves some really good friends.

    One more thing. She loses her memory? Seriously? Oh! That's great! Well, not really. Because, of course, losing one's memory wouldn't be great, it would be awful; but what I mean is, I LOVE that angle in a story. And I am now officially excited...again. ;)

    One sentence that particularly stood out to me. "She walked quickly to the staircase and sat down, her golden skirt settling with a rustle." "Golden skirt settling with a rustle." Yes. Very nice, indeed. I like that. :)

    Okay, I think that's all for now. I got your e-mail, though, so I will probably have more to say on this subject in my reply. Until then...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss March,
      Thank you ever so much!!!! :D And no! There is no such thing as too many exclamation points when it comes to amazing things like this! :D I still get very excited thinking about it! Just last night I though "hm, I could sit down and write more of my story" and then it hit me that I CAN'T write more of my story--it's done! Funny how easily my brain forgot that for a moment. ;)

      Yes, hahaha, I did actually dance a little bit. ;)

      I'm so glad you think you are going to like Alethea! Heehee. I am sorry. But, now that I'm done with my story, oddly enough I want to keep as MUCH as possible secret....even if the things I kept secret weren't necessarily spoilers. I just want to keep speculation to a minimum. I'm not sure if that's working, though. ;)

      Thank you!!! :D Your excitement makes me excited too!

      Delete
  11. Heaps of congratulations on finishing your book, Natalie!

    She loses her memory? How thrilling! My current hero loses his memory under violent circumstances before the story even starts which, while rather fun in some ways, is complicated in others. Did you have any difficulties in regards to that while writing Alethea?

    These character interview things are so brilliant! I love Beautiful People, of course, but I've never really done a real interview with a character. Wait, I tried it maybe once, but thought the result too silly for anything. However, now after reading yours and hearing how well it works for both you and Heidi (she does it too,) I am almost convinced to try it again.

    A really golden, joyous laugh. - Happy tingles here.

    That Tom Hiddleston gif is literally my favorite thing I've ever seen of him! And... I didn't notice until just now he's dancing in socks; very very funny. :)

    Anyway, I know there is still a lot of work yet to finish it for publishing, but I hope you do it soon. I don't know how long I can wait. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eowyn,
      Thank you!!!

      Really? Your hero loses his memory too? Perhaps Alethea and he would be sympathetic friends, then. :) Oh my, YES. For me, I felt as if having a character who "couldn't remember who she is" made it hard for ME to write down who she is...if that makes any sense. It was difficult developing Alethea's character and story when she was separated physically and mentally from the people in her life-her family-who sort of "make her" who she is. She's very devoted to her family.

      Oh, yes! I do hope you try it again! Sometimes it's a little hard, but when it works, it's so much fun!

      :D I'm so glad you like it!!

      Hahaha, yes! Isn't it an adorable and funny gif??

      Awwww, thank you! It means so much to have friends waiting for my story....definitely a big motivation! :D

      Delete

I love comments as much as I love hot tea and a good book.....well, nearly, anyway!
Please keep your words kind and edifying.