December 14, 2015

Eloise at Christmastime~Review


This movie is now officially one of my favorite Christmas movies.
I watched it a long time ago when I was a child, saw it again a couple years ago, and watched it again this year with the revelation that I love it.

The setting couldn't be any more glittery and fun-Eloise, a six-year-old whirlwind, lives at the Plaza Hotel in New York. She is allowed to run rampant through the hotel, creating havoc or joy by turns-usually depending on who she runs into. I mean, seriously. Who wouldn't love to live in a fancy hotel, if only for a little while? I would. 

(plus, the time period is around late 1950's which is major points in my book)

(except when they go shopping none of the stores look like they're from the 1950's. None of the merchandise does either.)

Now, some people may not like Eloise as she is rather a spoiled brat. There are moments (especially in her other movie, Eloise at the Plaza) where the punishment of locking her up in a dungeon and feeding her on bread and water for 6 weeks seems too good. Buuut, she also is adorably spontaneous, energetic,  and so incredibly full of the Christmas spirit that I can't help but love her. :)


Also, she ships one of my favorite couple almost as much as I do, which brings me to Bill the waiter and Rachel, the hotel owner's daughter.

I will admit that probably 50% of my love for this movie comes from my love of Bill and Rachel. 
THEY ARE SO CUTE!!!!!!!!!!
Please watch this video, the best part starts at 1:35 and ends at 2:49.


Did anyone else notice that Rachel's skirt changes from being a straight pencil skirt to a flared one during the dance? ha

Also, Bill is one of the cutest, most adorablely funny and charmingly kind guys ever and I love him ever so much.  
He plays with Eloise!!
He sword fights with her!!
Very Edward Ferrars and Maragret Dashwood reminiscent.
He sings!!
He plays the piano!!
He has an adorable grin!!
He does these funny expressions with his eyebrows and it's so cute!!

Just loooooooookk:
awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Did I convince you that Bill is amazing? No? Please watch the movie. I promise you'll love him.


So, the problem is that Rachel, after being away at school for years, comes back engaged to "Brooks Oliver the Third."

Yeah. We don't like him.
At all.

ESPECIALLY after Eloise finds out he's actually--
well. That's rather spoilery. :)

Let's just say Eloise makes it her personal mission to  sabotage that wedding and I completely applaud her in her efforts.


Bill: So, how's that Christmas list coming?
Eloise: Still one or two items short.
Bill: How many you got so far?
Eloise: Seventy three. 
Bill: -a surprised look-
Eloise: What? I think it's nice to give Santa lots of options.

they're soooo cuuttte
Julia Andrews is oh so so so funny and British as Nanny. Poor thing. I feel so bad bad bad for her when Eloise wakes her up with that infernal trumpet. haha 

Eloise: [talking about Nanny always saying things three times] I asked her once why she always did that... then she told me not to be so rude, rude, rude!
She puts up with a lot.
Among the major plots of Eloise's Christmas "adventures" and Bill and Rachel, there are some smaller subplots. For one, Eloise learns to understand and care for one of her neighbors who she always thought was a horrible person. But, as it turns out, she learns that something has happened to make the said neighbor act the way she does. And by learning that, she learns to treat her with compassion. And a chocolate cake may or may not figure into that treatment. ;)

Another plot is that of Nanny's crush on Sir Wilkes, one of the hotel guests. He likes her back but they're both too awkward to say so--and there's many funny scenes between the two of them.


Content:
The only thing I don't like in this movie is that Eloise tends to say "For Lord's sake," instead of "For goodness sake," or such. It's rather flippant and too casual a use of our Lord's name.

Prunella, the hotel event coordinator whom Eloise enjoys to antagonize (and she kind of deserves it), exclaims, "What in God's name is going on?" once, which, again, I don't approve of.

Some of Rachel's outfits can be rather too tight.


All in all, it's such a sparkly, hilarious, FUN Christmas movie (full of tinsel and glitter and A Christmas Carol and other such lovely Christmas things) with a sweet fairytale sort of ending. It's definitely one of my favorites, and think I will enjoy watching this for years and years to come. :)

14 comments

  1. Bill looks cute :) And so does Eloise! Does she have parents? I've never watched her movies so I don't know :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica,
      Aww, I know, aren't they? Eloise has a mother, who must be a famous career woman of some sort because she's always traveling and only shows up at the end of the movies. They don't say anything about her dad!
      So, the parent situation is a little weird, but the movies are still very entertaining. :)

      Delete
    2. Oh, no, it's fine--I was just curious! (It's just a kids' story. :) )

      Delete
  2. Awwww . . . Bill is just adorable!!!! 'Tis all I can say :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosie,
      Eee, so glad you think so!! :D :D

      Delete
  3. I LOVE Eloise at Christmastime! One of my favourite movies! Aaah, yes, Bill :)

    Oh, and I probably should mention, I've fallen in love with your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma, Yay!! Another fan! :D

      Aww, thank you so much!! That's so sweet. :)

      Delete
  4. I should watch this! I've seen trailers for it, I think, but your review made me actually want to watch it. Bill and Rachel look ADORABLE <3 :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you should, Olivia! I hope you do! And, you know, tell me what you think. :)
      Oh my, THEY ARE. I was surprised by how hard I was fangirling over them while watching it! haha

      Delete
  5. It has been a while since I've seen this movie, although I remember Eloise as quite the trouble-maker. ;) I might just have to try it again with my little sisters. By the way, I was wondering if you could direct me on how to add gifs to blogger... I'm in the midst of writing my next post which is going to be majorly spammed with gifs and photos on Pinterest...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna,
      Haha, yes, if she is anything, she is definitely that. ;)
      Of course! If you wish to put gifs in your post, you can upload them the same way you do with photos-just click the "add image" button and add gifs the way you would add photos-either through uploading them from your computer or by an image url from online.
      Hope that helps! If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask! :)

      Delete
  6. I've actually always loved the fact that Rachael's skirt changes from pencil to flare. I like to think the skirt represents her personality when she's with Brooks (pencil skirt) then with Bill flare) finally free to be herself :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's such a cute interpretation! I approve. :)

      Delete

I love comments as much as I love hot tea and a good book.....well, nearly, anyway!
Please keep your words kind and edifying.