December 24, 2015

"The Wrong shall fail, The Right prevail"


Merry Christmas, my lovely followers! 
I hope you and your families are having a beautiful, peaceful day of celebrating Jesus's birth!


The other day, family's daily devotional reading  included a story about Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, who wrote "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day" out of sadness from the recent loss of his wife, and the event of his son enlisting for war without his blessing. 

Hearing the story of how lonely and sad this man must have felt on Christmas day without his dearest family members made me cry. I felt so bad for him....and I'll now always remember his story whenever I hear this song:


I heard the bells on Christmas Day 
Their old, familiar carols play, and wild and sweet 
The words repeat 
Of peace on earth, good-will to men! 
...

 And thought how, as the day had come, 
The belfries of all Christendom 
 Had rolled along 
The unbroken song 
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!
...

Till ringing, singing on its way,
The world revolved from night to day,
A voice, a chime,
A chant sublime
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!
...

Then from each black, accursed mouth
The cannon thundered in the South,
And with the sound
The carols drowned
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!
...

It was as if an earthquake rent
The hearth-stones of a continent,
And made forlorn
The households born

Of peace on earth, good-will to men!
...

 And in despair I bowed my head; "There is no peace on earth," I said; 
 "For hate is strong, And mocks the song 
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!" 
 Then pealed the bells more loud and deep: 

"God is not dead, nor doth He sleep; 
 The Wrong shall fail, 
The Right prevail, 

With peace on earth, good-will to men."
...


I love the last lines, the ones I highlighted....it's such a beautiful, encouraging statement-and so incredibly true.

Here's a lovely rendition of the song, although changed from the original.



Have a VERY Merry Christmas, my dear friends!!

And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord. This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.”

Luke 2:8-12


14 comments

  1. Merry Christmas, Natalie! :-) That's a beautiful song. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas to you, too, Naomi! Thank you!

      Delete
  2. That poem is one of my favorites too :) Merry Christmas, Natalie!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks, Rosie! Merry Christmas!!

      Delete
  3. Oh, thank you for sharing this! I do love Longfellow--he had a sad life but he was such a kind, gentle soul . . . you can feel it in his poetry.

    Have a wonderful Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome Jessica! I have not really read any Longfellow, but now I'm thinking I should. :)
      Merry Christmas!

      Delete
    2. I really recommend it--it's great stuff, especially Hiawatha :) (Hiawatha is a LOT less intimidating than everybody makes out, btw ;) )

      Delete
  4. That is a beautiful story, Natalie! I'd never heard that before. Thank you so much for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome and thank you, Miss March! Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  5. I love this song! And the story behind it as well! It's been hard singing the song after hearing the version that you included because I want to add so much energy to the hymn when we sing it in church and it sounds so mellow and solemn. I just want to give it a little umph...if you know what I mean. :D I hope you had a merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cordy,
      Oh my, haha, I completely understand. I have the sheet music for this song, and when I sat down to play it I was like, "Hm. I like the other version better." heehee
      Thank you, I did!! I hope you did as well!

      Delete
  6. Beautiful, Natalie!!! Those last two stanzas are so good, inspiring and reassuring. I've been experiencing some…well, some uncertainty recently, and it's encouraging to read even just those few lines. So thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, your welcome, Olivia. I'm so happy that it was encouraging to you. I hope things get better for you-I will keep you in my prayers. :)

      Delete

I love comments as much as I love hot tea and a good book.....well, nearly, anyway!
Please keep your words kind and edifying.