January 29, 2016

Inklings~A New Beginning

Today, in linking up with Heidi's monthly Inkling Explorations, I have a beautiful, wonderful passage to share with you. The theme of this month is "A New Year or 'new beginning' passage in literature". When I read that, I immediately was reminded of one of my absolute faaavorite books, Behold the Dawn. Which, incidentally, I might not have ever read if not for Heidi and her sister Eowyn ;)

Now, I must warn you that this excerpt is from the very end of the climax....so it's very, very spoiler-y. But I couldn't resist sharing it. :)

The origins of Freemasonry in the 13th century precede their connection to the Knights Templar in the 17th century;. Freemasons existed as a guild (a craftmen's union) in the 13th century - Lots of good stuff here: http://science.howstuffworks.com/dictionary/awards-organizations/freemason1.htm https://www.pinterest.com/phoenixstjohn/ http://www.msana.com/historyfm.asp:

Turning away, he sank to his knees. Roderic's sword clanked against the planks and at last he prayed. Christ have mercy...Save me.
He slumped his head to his chest, utterly spent. He had been forcing punishment for St. Dunstan's upon himself long enough. The time had come to put it aside forever. His pride torn down, he could now accept forgiveness he had so long shunned, the forgiveness that had never been his to earn, but only to claim. His punishment was at an end—at last. 
He opened his eyes. For the first time in sixteen years, perhaps for the first time in his life, a glimmer of day flickered at the end of his dark path. 
Behind him, painful, halting footsteps whispered. Mairead. He didn't turn around, even as she laid her hands on his aching shoulders. For a long moment neither of them moved.
 "It's over," she said at last.
 "Aye." His throat grew thick, and he raised his right arm to hers. Aye, it was over. And, in that one word, he—undeserving , miserable man that he was—had been given a gift so great it overwhelmed him. The chance to begin anew. The chance to remember what it was like to serve a God who loved. The chance to push Death out to arm's length and keep it there. The chance to love this woman who was his wife.

~Behold the Dawn by K. M. Weiland


There's more to this stunning arc of redemption, but I had to keep the snippet short. And besides-why would I want to share more when you should just read the book yourself? ;)

If you'd like to read my review of Behold the Dawn, click here.

Thank you for this link-up, Heidi!

12 comments

  1. Ooooooooooh. I've never read the book, but I got shivers from that snippet. So glad you chose to share it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm so glad you liked it!! But--you haven't read the book first? And you read this major spoiler-y section? -sigh- This is why I was hesitant to post this.
      But, at the same time, I think I've done the same myself. ;) And, if it ever causes you to read the book, then I'm glad I shared it! :D

      Delete
    2. Well, I figure by the time I get around to reading the book, I'll have totally forgotten the details :-)

      Delete
    3. Hamlette,
      Haha, that's true. :) I'm sure you'll still enjoy the book very much!

      Delete
  2. With great self-control, I decided to not read the whole excerpt because I haven't read the book yet, but...I WANT TO SO BADLY! It looks like such an amaaaaaaazing book. Good choice, Natalie! :)

    (Oh, and your header is beautiful ;D)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olivia,
      Hahaha, yay! Proud of you. ;)
      PLEASE DO TRY TO READ THIS BOOK! I reallly want to hear what you think of it! If you have a kindle, it's only $3. And it's free on kindleunlimited. I'm not exactly sure what that is, but I thought I'd mention it because it's FREE. haha
      And, of course, there's paperback...it's $12. But, I promise, it's WELL worth it!

      Anyways, I'll stop plugging this book now. :P Thank you so much!

      Delete
  3. Ahhh!! I have to read this book now!!! xD I think it's in my kindle...

    (Psst! Beautiful header and sidebar, by the way. ;) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Faith,
      I really hope you like it!! :D I'd love to hear what you think. :)

      Thank you so much! :D

      Delete
  4. Good choice, Natalie. I've never read the book, but that passage was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Miss March! I hope you get a chance to try the book sometime. :)

      Delete
  5. EEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Splendiferous choice, Natalie dear!! Seriously. THIS STORY. Eeeesh. :)

    *deep breath* Okay. I am calm. :) (For about fifty seconds. ;D)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi,
      Hahaha, I had a FEELING you'd like my choice. :D I knoooow. It's so wonderful!
      Thanks so much!

      Delete

I love comments as much as I love hot tea and a good book.....well, nearly, anyway!
Please keep your words kind and edifying.