February 20, 2016

Favorite Couples from 1940's Movies

Hello all! Rose at an Old Fashioned Girl is hosting a 1940's blog party and I do encourage you to check it out. :) The 1940's is one of my favorite eras ever! Unfortunately, I did not have as much time as I wished to participate in the party. I came up with a grand list of post ideas-movie reviews, a list of my favorite Glenn Miller music, book reviews.....

Yeah. :/ Unfortunately none of that will be happening this week. I'm sorry!

But I did finally think up a post idea that was both short and easy but fun and not too boring. ;) I'm going to share with you all FIVE of my favorite couples from the movies that I've seen that were made in the 1940's. Since Valentine's Day was not very long ago, I feel that it's a perfect fit.

*I tried to keep everything as spoiler free as possibly, but be aware that some things may be given away if you read this.*


Maximillian de Winter and Mrs. de Winter
From Rebecca, 1940

The relationship between these two is confusing at best, strained and upset at worst. Joain Fontaine's character (we never actually learn her first name! I'll just call her Joan) marries the wealthy and mysterious Maxmillian de Winter after they meet and fall in love. She soon finds that being the new mistress of Manderly (her husband's mansion) is more dreadful and difficult than she would have imagined. You see, Maxim is a widower—and everywhere Joan turns she is reminded of how she could never possibly measure up to Rebecca de Winter's former beauty, talent, and charm. She feels that everyone is comparing her to Rebecca—even her new husband.
Despite several upsetting incidents, she clings to her love for Maxim, and only hopes that he can learn to one day forget the mysterious Rebecca and learn to love her.
Little does she know that the problem has nothing to do with Maxim's love or lack of love for her. ;)
(#spoilers)
I'd like to say more, but since I don't want to give anything away, I'll simply say that there are some very sweet and emotional moments between the two—moments that make you love them as a couple very much. She needs him....and perhaps, just perhaps....he needs her too.


Lou and Eleanor Gehrig
From the Pride of the Yankees, 1942

Lou and Ellie are just one of the sweetest couples! Theirs is a relationship that is sweet not only because of their love for each other but because of the fun they share together. Banter and jokes fly often between the two .The first time they met was when Ellie yelled out jokingly that he was a "tanglefoot"—because he tripped over a pile of baseball bats during a game he was playing in.
They stick together and encourage one another as Lou's career in baseball soars. Even when their happiness is threatened, their love for each other encourages them each to remain strong and to keep a smile on their face—for each other.

Mark McPherson and Laura Hunt
From Laura, 1944
This romance has a rather odd start when the detective assigned to investigate the mysterious murder of Laura Hunt feels himself falling in love. Not with any girl he's ever met. But with the memory of this murdered Laura. He knows he's being ridiculous, but he can't help but wish for a woman like Laura-whom everyone describes as the most kind, gracious, and intelligent woman they ever met.
And then—in a surprising twist of events (which is kind of spoiler-y, but also obvious from the photos) Laura is found to be alive. And upon meeting her, Mark finds that he truly does love her.
Woven among this suspenseful murder mystery is their romance. A little unconventional, and definitely with an odd start, but adorable and touching nonetheless. 


George and Mary Bailey
From It's a Wonderful Life, 1946


I think the above must be a behind the scenes photo from when they were practicing the Charleston (which they dance in the movie). Isn't it just adorable???
I love that Mary and George's relationship is one that began since childhood—with Mary's famous words, "George Bailey, I'll love you till the day I die."
Which he didn't actually hear. She made sure to whisper that in his one deaf ear. ;)
So, George and Mary grow up. Mary never loses her love for him, and when they re-meet at a dance...well, let's just say George falls head-over-heels. 
But he doesn't want to get married! He wants to travel and see the world and built things...marriage—and a family—would only chain him to the little town he's been trying to escape all his life.
But, he does get married. And we see George and Mary's relationship grow and change. They have a family of four children. And even when things start to go desperately wrong and their marriage seems to crumble, Mary never loses her faith in George. And in the end, he realizes that his family—and friends—is what truly give him happiness. More than any money, fame, or adventure the world could ever offer.

awwwwwww

"Yank" and Sister Parker
From The Hasty Heart, 1949

Now, this isn't so much a "favorite couple" as it is a favorite ship. ;) I mean, look at them! They're so cute together! And in the movie, it's clear that he likes her and they get along so well and....yeah. I just really ship the two of them. I like to pretend that they meet again after the war and fall in love "for real" (without the hindrance of army formalities and her being his nurse and all) and then get married. 


So there you have it! Five of my favorite "vintage" movie couples. :) Hope you enjoyed and don't forget to check out Rose's party!

22 comments:

  1. YO EVERYBODY LOOK IT'S RONALD REAGAN.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, I know, right??? He's so young! (cough and rather handsome cough)

      Delete
  2. THAT PICTURE OF JIMMY AND DONNA!!!!! Oh my flipping word. That just made my day :D

    They're the only ones I've actually seen from this post, more's the pity, but they are such dears :) It's just such a beautiful relationship!

    Ooh, I'm really interested in Laura

    Thanks for this fun post, Natalie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!! Eek, it's adorable. :)

      Laura is stunning. And spectacular. I hope you can watch it sometime!

      Thank you!!

      Delete
  3. What a delightful post!
    I just love the relationship between the De Winters, it just grows so much during the movie!
    And Mary and George Bailey!! They are just one of the best couples in a movie!
    I haven't seen the other movies but they sound really good!
    Thank you so much for participating:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rose!
      Me too. :) It's so fun seeing them change together.
      I hope you can see the other movies sometime!
      You're welcome! Thank you for hosting the week!

      Delete
  4. That picture of Jimmy Stewart and what's-her-name. I CAN'T STOP LOOKING AT IT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, "and what's-her-name". I know, it's so cute!!! :D

      Delete
  5. I NEED MARY'S DANCE SKIRT. TOO GORGEOUS :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it beautiful??? And so perfect for dancing!

      Delete
  6. I just watched 'A Day at the Races'done in 1937...and it was so entertaining! And, haha, funny. I have nominated you for the Liebster Award over at my blog Mic's Room, if you'd like to do it.
    http://lovelypinkduckshome.blogspot.com/2016/02/2nd-liebster-award.html
    Thanks a whole bunch,
    -Mic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I've seen that! It's one of my favorite Marx brothers movies. Have you seen "Night at the Opera"? It's another favorite. :)
      Thank you so much for nominating me! Unfortunately, I have a lot of other posts in process right now (and hardly enough time to do them) so I hope you won't mind if I don't do the tag. :) I really appreciate that you awarded me, though! It was super sweet of you. :)

      Delete
  7. I really like Jimmy Stewart and It's a Wonderful Life. I have also seen The Hasty Heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. :) Jimmy Stewart is definitely one of my favorite "vintage" actors! Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  8. I LOVE this, Natalie! You are such a good writer. You've really got me interested in these couples. :)

    George and Mary. Aww. They're adorable. That picture of them dancing together is so sweet! And Lou and Ellie! They're such a neat couple. I love the way they tease each other and have fun together. :)

    I haven't seen any of the other couples you mentioned, but I really want to watch Rebecca now. It sounds very intriguing. Actually, all of these movies do. I'm going to have to see if I can find them at the library.

    I had to look up the cast for the last one because I was like, "hey! Isn't that Ronald Reagan?" And it was!! (I was quite proud of myself for recognizing him. Heehee. ;)) I've never seen any of Ronald Reagan's movies, but I'd like to sometime.

    Anyway, all that to say, this was a very nice post, Natalie!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you, Miss March! I'm so glad you think so. :) That made me smile!

      Yes, they're both just adorable! Don't you love how (some) old movies tend to focus on the couples once they're married, not just the "meet and fall in love" stage?

      Oh, I do hope you can find them and watch them! They're all really good. :)
      Heehee! I know what you mean by being "proud" of recognizing an actor! haha I really enjoy his movies (from the few I've seen) so hopefully you will too. :)

      Thank you so much!!

      Delete
    2. Oh yes! I hadn't really thought about it, but that's true. It is really neat to see the couples after they're married. It gives you a deeper understanding of their relationship. Is that something more common in old movies, do you think?

      Oh, I will certainly try and watch them sometime. They do sound really good. Thanks for the recommendations. It's fun to discover new movies. :)

      Delete
    3. Exactly! Hmm, I don't know. I think it is, only in that I can think of more old movies with married couples than new ones. But, then again, I don't watch a ton of new movies so I'm a bad judge! :P

      I'm glad! Discovering new movies is so exciting!

      Delete
  9. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh! The Hasty Heart!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm tearing up just thinking about that movie.

    I love all these couples AND their movies, but most particularly Mark and Laura. Mmmmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hamlette,
      Awww, you've seen it?? Yay! And yes...it's so sweet and sad. :')

      Heehee, yes! They are just great. :)

      Delete
    2. Yes, I have. I'd wanted to see it for years, because I'm quite fond of Richard Todd, and when we moved here, I discovered the library had it! Which is especially remarkable because my library system here almost never has old movies I want to see. But I've finally seen it, and it was even better than I'd been expecting.

      Delete
    3. Haha, I know how that is about libraries not having old movies. Our old library had a much wider selection than our current library has. :P
      Ohh, I'm just so glad you liked it! And that it was even better than you thought it'd be. :)

      Delete

You're thinking of leaving a comment? Please do! :D
Simply keep your words kind and gracious. Any comments containing mean or ugly words will be deleted immediately.