March 21, 2016

March Inklings~Darcy's Letter

Hello all! I love Heidi's monthly Inkling Explorations Link-Up. But, sometimes I'm not able to participate each month, due to time constraints. :( After missing last month, I was determined to have a post this time! The current topic is "A scene involving a letter, package, or post office in film."  Isn't that darling? Letters and brown paper packages tied up with string are definitely some of the most exciting things. :)

I chose to highlight Mr. Darcy's letter in the 1995 Pride and Prejudice. Finally Elizabeth is shown that Darcy is not all he seems....and neither is Wickham. It's an altogether wonderful letter and changes so much in the story. I really love it. :) Of course, this scene contains spoilers so if you do not know the story and wish to keep it that way, I'd recommend not watching the clip.

Just a note: During the letter, flashback scenes are being shown. One involves the less-than-honorable actions of one character, and a man and woman (clothed in her undergarments of a corset, chemise and skirt) are shown kissing. If you'd rather skip that scene, it occurs at :55 to 1:00.


Thank you so much for the link-up, Heidi!

14 comments:

  1. Great choice, Natalie!! I've always enjoyed those flashback scenes. Darcy's letter is a such an important part of the story. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I like the flashbacks too-I always like to guess which of the little boys is Darcy and which is Wickham. ;)

      Delete
    2. We always liked to do that, too! And I think we finally settled on the fact that Darcy was the one with the blue coat and Wickham was the one with the red coat. How do you see it?

      Delete
    3. I see it the exact same way! :D

      Delete
    4. Really? Well! Great minds think a like!! ;)

      Delete
    5. That's exactly what I was thinking! :D haha

      Delete
  2. Squeeeee...! I'm grinning. The Quintessential Letter Scene of All Time. :D And oh my... I was kind of out of 'period drama mode' for a while at the beginning of the year, but now with spring arriving, etc., I'm wanting to watch this soooo badly! ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, so glad you liked it! :D Haha, it is quite a classic. I know what you mean-isn't it funny how the weather even affects our movie watching? I hope you can see it again soon. :)

      Delete
  3. I think what I love best about Mr. Darcy's letter is how hard it must have been for him to write. He's such an intensely private person, and having to lay bare his past in such a plain way must have been difficult -- and I think it's where we first get to really understand his true feelings for Elizabeth. "How ardently I admire and love you" is all very well, but it's just words -- with this action, he proves that he's not just another Wickham, speaking words to get what he wants. He's putting those words to paper, making a permanent record of things he'd rather forget, and thereby showing both Elizabeth and the reader how important she is to him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never thought about it in that way before, but you're so right!! Wow. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on it-you just made me like that scene 10 ten times better than I already did! :D

      Delete
    2. You're welcome! I had that realization not long ago, and was happy to find a spot to share it :-)

      Delete
    3. I'm so glad my post gave you the excuse to share it! :D

      Delete

You're thinking of leaving a comment? Please do! :D
Simply keep your words kind and gracious. Any comments containing mean or ugly words will be deleted immediately.