March 29, 2016

What I'd Rather Do if I Lived in Jane Austen's World



Most period dramas seem to evoke springtime for me. Except North and South and Little Women. Those are winter movies. And Anne of Green Gables has always reminded me of summer or fall (although it could be argued that her story could evoke all the season!).
Anyways, I'm currently in the mood for period dramas, especially Jane Austen's stories. (The next book on my to-read list is Persuasion! Yay!) With perfect timing, Cordy has created a delightful Jane Austen version of her classic "Would You Rather" games. Here I am to play-and you're welcome to as well! Simply copy and answer the questions and link back to Cordy, please. :)


Who would you rather have act as your matchmaker, Lady Russell (from Persuasion) or Mrs. Jennings?
Oh, that's easy. Mrs. Jennings for certain. Lady Russell's matchmaking only ended in separating (for 8 years!) Two People Who Belonged Together. I will stay as far away as possible from her. Or simply don't take her advice. That would work as well. :P
Mrs. Jennings would be extremely annoying and obnoxious at times, but if I can be patient and try to ignore her jokes I might end up happily ever after. ;)

Who would you like as a pen pal from Jane Austen's works?
Oh, that's so difficult! I suppose Elinor. We could share our secrets with each other and encourage one another.  I could give her advice, such as "do not become friends with Lucy Steele" and "don't let your sister give a lock of her hair to a man you know nothing about." 

Who would you rather go on a walk with, Colonel Fitzwilliam or Captain Benwick?
Colonel Fitzwilliam. He seems like such a nice, friendly guy and I feel like he could easily be friends with another woman without expecting her to fall in love with him. (But that just made think...I wonder if the Colonel ever marries? I need a story based on him....hmm. Yet another plot bunny.) Captain Benwick is nice and all, but he seems a little more moody and easily hurt. I think I might feel nervous about saying the wrong thing around him.

Who would you rather have to befriend, Mrs. Elton or Lucy Steele?
Uggh..what a choice, Cordy. :P Heehee. Mm...I almost want to say Lucy Steele because at least she's more quiet and genteel than Mrs. Elton...but then, Mrs. Elton would probably be more funny, whereas Lucy would just be annoying. I'd hate to have her follow me everywhere and declare that we're best friends and tell each other our secret's. Okay, I convinced myself. I choose Mrs. Elton.

Who would you rather have as a sibling, John Knightley or Mary (from Persuasion, not Mary Bennet)?
I cannot stand Mary and her complaints, so John Knightly it is.



Who would you rather dance with? (Very open book!)
Oh my....such a wealth of choices. I'll have to be unoriginal and say the same that Naomi and Cordy said-Henry Tilney. He's just so fun and easy-going and the perfect partner to dance with and make jokes with and ask why the man across the room is staring at me. :P

Who would you rather refuse, Mr. Collins or Mr. Elton?
Mr. Collins. Dancing with him would be an utter embarrassment and torture. Embarrassment as he would run into people during the dance ("OTHER way, Mr. Collins!") and torture because he would prattle on about Lady Catherine's chimneys and I know not what else. And then he'd probably take my dancing with him as an acceptance of his aim toward matrimony. Nothankyou.



Who would you rather match-make for, Miss Bates or Mary Bennet?
Mary Bennet. I always wondered who the poor girl would marry someday. I'd love to see a nice, book-ish sort of fellow come along and sweep her off her feet-and perhaps convince her to not take herself so seriously. :P



Who would you rather have as a best friend?
Lizzy Bennet, probably. Or Eleanor Tilney. Or Elinor Dashwood. Or Georgiana Darcy. Can I have them all as friends?



Who would you rather argue with? (Mrs. Bennet, Lady Catherine, Emma Woodhouse, Mr. Woodhouse, Mr. Palmer, Mrs. Jennings, Fanny Dashwood, Captain Wentworth, Mr. Darcy, etc.) 
Does this mean I get to choose ANY of Jane Austen's characters or only the ones listed? There's an "etc." so I'm going to assume the former. ;) 
Hmmm...perhaps...perhaps Henry Tilney. If the argument is a friendly one. It would be fun to have a good natured debate with him. :)
On the other hand, annoying Lady Catherine by disagreeing with her would be a lot of fun. ;)

Would you rather wander the grounds of Pemberley and risk being 'discovered' or wander over the downs surrounding Barton Cottage in the rain and twist an ankle?
Oh, I would choose Pemberley, indeed. ;) Why in the world would I want to twist my ankle in the rain when I could be admiring the beauty of Pemberley's shining lake and green hills-and, you know, running into Mr. Darcy wouldn't be all that bad.....he might ask me if I'd like to meet his sister! And then she would invite me to dinner! And then Mr. Darcy would admire my fine eyes and I would tell him-by gazing at him with my fine eyes-that I believe him about Wickham. See, it all worked out splendidly. :)

But oh wait. I'm not Elizabeth. :P





Where would you live in Austen's works?

Pemberley....or Barton Cottage. I can never quite decide between the two. ;)

Thank you so much for this lovely game, Cordy!

16 comments

  1. Yippee! I'm glad you played!

    Haha, love the pen palish advice you would give. It is very sound indeed! ;)

    Oh, look! It's Mr. Knightley! :D :D

    I like that you already have a 'type' picked out for Mary Bennet. Hehe, how very thoughtful.

    "But oh wait. I'm not Elizabeth. :P" Haha, but that's where you use your imagination! :D I was enjoying reading all the 'steps' to becoming Lizzy.

    Yay! I'm so glad you enjoyed yourself! I love that you play my crazy games! :D Haha.

    ~Cordy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Cordy!

      I'm actually watching our favorite version of Emma right now with my mom....Mr. Knightley is as wonderful as always. ;)

      I do love your games! I hope you'll always keep them up! :D

      Delete
    2. Oh, and was the movie so wonderful?!
      Haha: "I love John!...how could John let him do that, I hate John!"
      Good patient Mrs. Weston to talk Emma through her worries! Oh yes, and Mr. Knightley... :D :D

      I shall endeavor to keep them coming!

      Delete
    3. Haha, of course! Such a great movie. :)

      Yay! :D

      Delete
  2. Lovely post, Natalie! I agreed with almost 100% of your answers, actually :-) And it was so much fun reading them!

    I would really love to be pen pals with Fanny Price . . . we could encourage each other, you know, because we have a lot of the same strengths and weaknesses. Like worrying way too much about hurting other peoples' feelings. (Seriously, this is a SERIOUS problem for me. I really have to work on it.)

    Love that P&P05 gif!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jessica!

      Ohh, I forgot about Fanny! I too would love to be pen pals with her. You have that problem too? I can relate! Of course, it's good to NOT want to hurt people, but worrying over it excessively (and then thinking someone is upset with me when they really aren't at all) isn't very fun or healthy. :/ Is that part of how you worry, too?

      Hahahaha, glad you enjoyed it! I find it hilarious. :D

      Delete
    2. YES. That's exactly the problem--making smaller issues into much BIGGER ones by worrying about them so much! It's tough :-/ I'm trying to get better at it, though.

      Delete
    3. I'm sorry you have that struggle too! I'll keep you in my prayers. :)

      Delete
  3. What a fun little game, I may have to fill it out myself!

    And let me just say, while I never danced with Mr. Collins I did marry him. That's what happens when you play Charlotte Lucas in a stage musical of P&P. ;) My dancing partner was much lighter on his feet than Mr. Collins which is why I'm glad Collins spent so much time chasing Lizzy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! It is definitely quite fun. :)

      Bahahahaha-I read your first sentence and had to stop and read it again before I read the rest and understood! :D I would love to be in a stage musical of P&P. I'm glad your dancing partner was more amiable than your husband! ;)

      Delete
  4. Ah, yes. Elinor Dashwood would make an excellent pen pal. And do tell her not to make friends with Lucy Steele. Poor Elinor, she needs a good friend to confide in.

    We both said Colonel Fitzwilliam! :) It is true, though, Captain Benwick is somewhat moody, and I can't really talk poetry so I don't think we'd get on as well as he and Anne did during their walk. (A story about Colonel Fitzwilliam, though! Yes! Someone should write a story about him. He's so nice. And I'd really like to see what kind of girl he would marry.)

    Well, it appears Mrs. Elton's getting a lot of friends these days. Shows you how bad Lucy is! Haha!

    Unoriginal? Ha! That's how I was feeling. As soon as I read Cordy's answer I was like, no! She stole my answer! I want to dance with Henry Tilney! :D

    Aww. I like what you said about Mary Bennet. Yes. We should find her a nice bookish chap who will liven her up a bit and help her to have more fun. ;)

    I KNOW! Out of all those characters who DO you choose for a best friend? There are so many good ones.

    I agree. A friendly argument with Henry would be so much fun! :)

    "And then Mr. Darcy would admire my fine eyes and I would tell him-by gazing at him with my fine eyes-that I believe him about Wickham." Haha. Good one, Natalie. Yes, that would all work out perfectly. And it would be much better than spraining your ankle in the rain, and then falling in love with a man who isn't worthy of you. :P

    Excellent post, Natalie. And the pictures you included are scrumptious--especially the collages. Beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she would, indeed! :)

      I didn't know you did the tag, too! I'll be reading your post as soon as possible. :) I'm glad you agree about the Colonel! :D

      Hahaha! I hope Mrs. Elton appreciates the fact that we like her better than Lucy!

      I know! Heehee. Henry will not be lacking for partners at the next ball. ;) I now am dying to read or watch Northanger Abbey again...Henry is so wonderful!

      Definitely. I think I heard of a spin-off book called something like "A Match for Mary Bennet" but I have not read it yet. I'll have to look it up and see what it's about. :)

      Hahaha, my thoughts exactly. ;)

      Thanks so much!

      Delete

I love comments as much as I love hot tea and a good book.....well, nearly, anyway!
Please keep your words kind and edifying.