June 21, 2016

The Rose~Inkling Link Up

My selection for this month's Inkling Explorations Link Up (the subject of which is "Roses in book or film") is the scene from Disney's Beauty and the Beast when the Beast decides to set Belle free. Choosing Beauty and the Beast feels rather unoriginal to me, but I love the movie (and am consequently over-the-moon excited for the new live action version coming out in 2017!!!) and so I couldn't resist. :)

The Beast has a magical rose that tells him how long he has to live, and the Rose is slowly dying. Once it dies, the Beast will die too, unless he comes to love a girl—and have her love him in return. Only then will he be released from the spell.


Even though the Rose is visibly wilting before his eyes, the Beast decides to willingly give up the very thing that would ensure his freedom and life—Belle. Because he loves her, he puts her needs and feelings above his own. He sacrifices himself for her, showing how completely his character has changed and evolved into the hero that the sorceress who cast the spell upon him hoped he would become.

Here is the scene I'm highlighting, although the main part is at 1:05 to 2:21. The last part with the Beast telling Cogsworth why he let Belle go is one of my favorite scenes. :)






Thank you for this lovely Link Up, Heidi! 

ps. I find this very amusing, indeed. ;)

12 comments:

  1. Excellent selection, Natalie!! :D And I really liked what you said about the Beast's change in character. You described it so well. His really does grow a lot throughout the course of the story!

    Oh, and that picture at that end...totally funny! "it was one cough, belle" HAHAHAHA! That made me smile. Thanks for including it. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Miss March! I'm so happy you liked it. :) Yes, he does! I find his character much more fascinating than I did when I watched this movie as a child. ;)

      Hahaha, you're welcome!

      Delete
  2. Eek, this selection made me so happy! Isn't Disney marvelous?!
    Your thoughts were lovely. And I'm with you on that scene with Cogsworth. So sweet. :)
    Ooh, that picture of the stained glass... :D :D

    (I've seen that picture before, the one at the end, and it was so satisfying to me. Unfortunately, I tend to think like that picture sometimes. Really, you certainly jumped to an extreme didn't you?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, I'm so glad, Cordy! And yes--it is!
      Thank you so much. :)

      Hahaha, I know! I never thought of it myself, but when I saw it I immediately agreed with Beast. ;)

      Delete
  3. Great selection! And that bit at the bottom cracked me up :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hamlette! Haha, I'm glad. :D

      Delete
  4. I can't wait for the new movie either!!!! The trailer looks GORGEOUS!! And it's got Emma Watson, Dan Stevens, Emma Thompson, Hattie Morahan, AND Audra McDonald . . . what's not to like?????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eeek, I know!! The trailer was beautiful....it told us nothing and yet I'm dying for the movie even more now. ;)THE CAST IS PERFECTION ITSELF. The only one I'm hesitant about is Emma Watson (I've never seen her in anything), but I'm hoping to be surprised. :)

      Delete
    2. That's what I heard...I hope I think so, too! :D

      Delete
  5. AHH This is so exciting! when I saw the trailer I was shocked because I hadn't even heard of it till then! I am not sure about Dan Stevens a little I saw one movie with him (I can't remember which one :/) but he was kind of creepy in it but thats just me IDK. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I'm so excited, too! I've seen Dan Stevens in the 2008 Sense and Sensibility movie, and he's really sweet and wonderful in that. Hopefully you'll like him in this!
      Thanks for commenting, Maggie! :)

      Delete

You're thinking of leaving a comment? Please do! :D
Simply keep your words kind and gracious. Any comments containing mean or ugly words will be deleted immediately.