Hey, everyone. I have exciting news!
Yes, indeed, folks it is my birthday and not only that, it is my eighteenth birthday.
(Well, it will be my eighteenth birthday. I'm writing this the night before. So...as of now I'm still 17.)
(Not really. I'll be with my family :D)
For some reason the thought of using the number eighteen some how in my post is appealing, so I decided to share eighteen of my favorite quotes with you. Quotes are inspiring, and being eighteen and done with high school is inspiring. So...yeah. I'm sharing inspiration with you all. ;)
1. "Be weird. Be random. Be who you are. Because you never know who would love the person you hide." C.S. Lewis
2. "We have to choose joy and keep choosing it." Henri J.M. Nouwen
3. “I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.” Laura Ingalls Wilder
4.“Laughter is sunshine, it chases winter from the human face.” Victor Hugo, Les Misérables
5. “…. I will not say, do not weep, for not all tears are an evil.” J.R.R. Tolkien
6. "It begins with a character, usually, and once he stands up on his feet and begins to move, all I can do is trot along behind him with a paper and pencil trying to keep up long enough to put down what he says and does." William Faulkner
(to those of you who know about my book, you will know who this is. :))
7. "I am not what I ought to be, I am not what I would like to be, I am not what I would hope to be, but I am not what I once was, and by the grace of God, I am what I am." John Newton
8. “I'd like to add some beauty to life," said Anne dreamily. "I don't exactly want to make people KNOW more... though I know that IS the noblest ambition... but I'd love to make them have a pleasanter time because of me... to have some little joy or happy thought that would never have existed if I hadn't been born.” L.M. Montgomery, Anne's House of Dreams
11. "Be the type of person you want to meet."
12.“Her heart was a secret garden and the walls were very high.”
William Goldman, The Princess Bride
13. "The power of finding beauty in the humblest things makes home happy and life lovely." Louisa May Alcott
13."The most important thing in life is to stop saying 'I wish' and to start saying 'I will.'" Charles Dickens
(a very inspiring quote when you need to clean out the bathtub :P)
14. "Thank goodness I was never sent to school; it would have rubbed off some of the originality." Beatrix Potter
Jane Austen, Sense and Sensibility
16.“Quiet people have the loudest minds.” Stephen Hawking
17.“Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.” Ralph Waldo Emerson
18.“The fact that I am a woman does not make me a different kind of Christian, but the fact that I am a Christian makes me a different kind of woman.” Elisabeth Elliot
I'm sitting on my bed as I write this. It's dark outside, with fireflies undoubtedly blinking away. I'm trying to find the best way to phrase what I want to say, but I'm such a jumble of feelings. And not all those feelings are ones I want to share on my public blog. ;)
I have a lot of uncertainty about the future. I've finished high school, I'm turning 18, and I have...no idea where I'm going in life. :P Sure, I have dreams, plans, and ideas, but life always turns out differently from what you expect.
Some days my future seems exciting and full of opportunity. Other days it's a little scary. On still other days, I can feel like Katherine Brooke in Anne of Avonlea where she says something to the effect of, "I see my road stretching ahead of me, with no bends in it at all." I think nothing is scarier than the notion of having a monotonous, boring life.
But I know that's not true. God has continually reminded me of how unpredictable life is. Many times I've had my ideas and plans turned upside down and shaken around into something new. And every time MY plans go wrong, I can see where God's plan was so much better. His way is always best.
One of my favorite verses is Proverbs 3:5-6,
Trust in the Lord with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways submit to him,
and he will make your paths straight.
I feel as if I quote it a lot, but it is so comforting. I've been amazed by how many situations I've been able to apply this verse to--and how true it is.
I'm excited for this new year of my life. Despite all the negative feelings that can sometimes come to the surface concerning my future, I know I can trust in my God and King that all will come out well in the end. He's holding me in His hands--and there's certainly no place I'd rather be then there.
For I hold you by your right hand--I, the LORD your God. And I say to you, 'Don't be afraid. I am here to help you.