February 14, 2017

Valentine's Day 2017//obscure, underrated fictional couples

Happy Valentine's Day, my friends!! I love you all so much. <3 *scatters confetti hearts*
As always, I love writing all sorts of mushy posts about fictional couples I love during the month of February, specifically on or around Valentine's Day. Well, I've done a post on some favorite couples, a post on some favorite proposals...this year, I thought I'd share with you TEN strictly literary couples who are either very obscure or underrated. Or both. :P (That means couples like Darcy and Lizzy won't be in this post. Everyone has heard of them. Plus they're in movies.)

These are in no particular order; my time is too precious to waste trying to decide who gets the #1 spot and so on. ;) Enjoy!

1) Liam and Annie
First Meeting by TheGingerMenace123.deviantart.com on @DeviantArt:

Gaahh. These two. This princess and her loyal knight and friend, Liam, are from The Wide Awake Princess by E.D Baker, one of my absolutely favorite middle grade books. It's cute, light, funny, and has a mixture of all sorts of fairytales thrown into one story. And these two are just adorable. Liam is a kind, brave hero who will do anything to protect the princess. Annie is awkward and seems to attract trouble, because of her powers to detect magic. Together, they make a perfect team. <3


2) Sheftu and Mara
"Mara: Daughter of the Nile":
Mara: Daughter of the Nile is one of the most stunning books I've ever read. The dialogue, description, plot, character, setting....absolutely everything about this book is superb. And then there's Sheftu and Mara. Their tempestuous but oh-so-sweet romance is....well, beyond my words of description. ;) If you haven't yet read this book I GREATLY encourage you to.


3) Jace and Kyrin
Reminds me of Kyrin and Jace. Maybe later on when Kyrin's hair grows out. And, Kyrin needs to be wearing a bit longer shirt/overdress.:

*Takes a deep breath because I've been recently reading these books and my emotions are running very very high because of it.*
The Ilyon Chronicles have skyrocketed lately to my favorite books list, and Jace and Kyrin have a huge part in this. Not only is Jace one of my favorite heroes EVER, the growing romance between him and Kyrin is just...
*cries because I can't handle it.*
They're perfect. Or, at least, they WILL be perfect once dear Jace gets it through his thick head that Kryin would most definitely love him despite his past and who he is.*
One thing I adore about their relationship is that for most of the series they're very, very close friends who encourage each other and help each other through their dark moments. Not a spot of romance has shown up until the third book. Though I'm a hopeless romantic, I also absolutely adore romances based on prior friendship. These two are just epic. <3

*SPOILERS, highlight to view: This post was written before I read the end of Samara's Peril, and let's just say Jace got it through his head and I'm so so so happy because of it. *end spoilers*

4) Barney and Valancy
Barney and Valancy in Tin Lizzie:
AKA the couple in one of L. M. Montgomery's finest novels, The Blue Castle. This book makes me so happy. It fits into a corner of my heart so perfectly, and Barney and Valancy are definitely one reason why. They are one of the most unorthodox, mismatched, unique couples ever and yet they are perfect for each other in every possible way. I just...agh. I love them. <3


5) Jack and Allie

These two are from Sara Mill's books, Miss Fortune and Miss Match. For the record, I loved these books when I read them and definitely recommend them, but be warned, the second book ends on a horrible cliffhanger and there is no third book published yet, and I honestly wonder if there ever will be. :P That aside, I must tell you how adamantly I am on the side of #TeamJack. Allie, the private investigator, and Jack, the FBI agent are PERFECT for each other. Unfortunately, much of the story revolves around Allie's "long-lost" romance with a certain fellow named David. For the record, I like David quite a bit too, but...not as much as Jack. He fits with Allie and complements her so well. They're both witty and daring and much too independant for their own good, but that's why they fit so well. They understand each other and help keep each other grounded because they want to keep each other safe.

PS. Oh yeah. Jack has a "long lost romance" too. But no. He belongs with Allie. Ugh, how I wish there was a third book....

6) Gene and Majesty

This one is for you, Éowyn. ;)

When I finally read The Light of Western Stars by Zane Grey, the favorite book of one of my very bestest friends, I fell in love not only with the beautiful writing and story, but Gene Stewart and Majesty Hammond's romance as well. Majesty is a beautiful, genteel lady from the East and Gene a rough, stoic cowboy who immediately falls in love with her. But, he feels he can never deserve someone so beautiful and pure, and practically wastes away with love for her (lest you think him weak, I will add that the strength and willpower he exhibits in so many situations is admirable. He only thinks of her, not of himself, especially considering something he knows about them that I can't speak of because of spoilers. ;)).  The best word I can find to encompass the romance between these two is epic.

7) Romek and Kasia
Fiddler on the Roof - tender moment between Hodel and Perchik:
the clothing doesn't fit the time (WW2) but I kind of pictured Romek and Kasia like these two
Romek and Kasia are just...agh. I love them. Everything about their romance was achingly sweet and simple, but incredibly powerful and true. Romek and Kasia are a new favorite. They're from the heartbreakingly bittersweet short story, Sweet Remembrance by Emily Ann Putzke, part of the Once short story collection.

8) Jehu and Jane

Another middle-grade series I love, Boston Jane by Jennifer L. Holm has been a favorite of mine since I was a wee lass young girl. I recently discovered that the main couple from Poldark remind me muchly of how I picture Jehu and Jane, so thus the photo. :P
Jehu is a blue-eyed sailor with a scar on his face. Jane is a fiery redhead from Boston who tried her best to be a prim and proper lady (but usually fails). Their relationship is just the cutest and the funniest, from the moment she throws up on his boots while seasick to the moment he kisses her under the stars on the fourth of July.
Jehu draws the real Jane out of her shell, encouraging her to be herself. Not the "proper" society-pages type of young lady she tries to be. 

9) Joe and Mandie
 :
ignore the fact that they're in modern clothing and in an art gallery :P
One of my favorite childhood series (which I really ought to re-read) was the Mandie mystery books by Lois Gladys Leppard. Sweet and lovely and full of fun, these books are just adorable. And I've forever and always shipped Mandie with her best friend Joe, the wonderful boy who loved her ever since they were children.
Sadly, the author died before she could finish the series set during Mandie's years at college, so we never actually get proof that she ends up with Joe, but I choose to believe she does. They were best friends, and had a long history together. They were always there for each other, always helping and encouraging and keeping each other safe. 

10) White Hawk and Mary
This reminds me of Miriam Willard and Peirre Laroche.:
make his hair black and put him in a leather shirt. Then he'd look like White Hawk
From Gloria Whelan's Once on this Island series (another middle grade series I love :)), White Hawk, an Indian, and Mary, a settler's daughter, have been friends their entire life, but grow to love each other as they mature. Reading their stories for the first time since I was younger, I was a bit disappointed. I felt their romance was a bit underdeveloped. But, on the other hand, their friendship is beautiful. They're always there for each other, and romances based on friendship are the best kind, in my opinion. :)


Happy Valentine's Day!
Have you read any of these books?

34 comments:

  1. NATALIE!!!!!!!!!!
    MANDIE AND JOE YESSSSSSSSSSSSS!
    YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE EVER TO IDENTIFY WITH ME IN THIS (that I know of)!!!!
    Oh my goodness, I lived on those books when I was younger. Hehehehehe.
    (Although... I also liked Jonathan... #conundrum)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melody,
      Hahaha! Wow, I had NO idea my putting Mandie and Joe on the list would be so well received by someone. :D That's fantastic! Really??? I can't believe you haven't met more people who love them.
      I haven't read the books in soooo long (just tracking down all the books from the library would take me eons) but I really want to. :)
      (I think I kind of liked Jonathon too, but my first loyalties will always reside with Joe. :D)

      Delete
  2. YOU KNOW ABOUT THE MISS MATCH SERIES? Oh my goodness, yes. I'm still so upset that there was never a third book. Not okay.

    Also, I too shipped Allie and Jack, but I was curious if the third book would win me over to David. I GUESS I'LL NEVER KNOW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hayden,
      YES I DO. I knew you did because I've seen your ratings for them on goodreads, but I think I just stumbled upon them in the library by chance one day. I'm really glad I did...except for that ending. Ugh.

      WE NEED ANSWERS!! (I actually emailed the author via the publisher about it...haven't heard back yet. :P)

      Delete
  3. Barney and Valancy! Love the picture you found for them! This is such a cute post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. I bookmarked this for new reads!
    2. Mara and Sheftu. Yes. Their romance is so dramatic and unique. I just adore Sheftu.
    3. Valancy and Barney. Yes. That whole book was such a surprise.
    4. Sorry, Joe and Mandie drive me NUTS. I find them both annoying. They flirt with other people and then get jealous and its just ridiculous and the series goes on forever without being resolved. I always liked Dimar and think Jonathan was more my type. All the other boys lacked the pinch of salt that is good humor. I'm still mad the stories didn't resolve the romance.
    This is such a good idea; I might have to do a post like this sometime! But for now here are my additions
    1. Marcus and Cottia from Eagle of the Ninth
    2. Martin and Ivy from Swift and Nomad (you'd need to read the first, Faery Rebels, trio first)
    3. Creel and Luka in Jessica Day George's Dragon Slippers trilogy
    4. Azalea and Lord Bradford, Bramble and Lord Teddy, Clover and Fairweller from Entwined
    5. Arthur Clennam and Amy Dorrit from Little Dorrit
    6. Jamie and Mary from Keeper of the Bees
    7. Len and Mabel, Sarah Jane and Thomas from the Grandma's Attic series
    8. Lord Peter Wimsey and Harriet Vane
    9. Beauty and the Beast from Robin McKinley's Beauty
    10. Amy and the "apprentice" from The Ordinary Princess by M.M. Kaye

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Livia Rachelle,
      1. Yay! :D
      2. I love Sheftu, too.
      3. SAME. <3
      4. Aw, really? Yeah...I can't remember everything all that well, but I do wish things had been more resolved between them.

      Ooh, that's a great list! I'm definitely going to check some of those books out and possibly add them to my to-read list. :) I LOVE Arthur and Amy and though Beauty and the Beast from Robin McKinley's book may not be a favorite COUPLE persay, I did LOVE the book. So beautiful.

      Delete
  5. This one is for you Éowyn... *Said person utterly and completely melts*. You described their relationship perfectly! I love other western stories, too, but Gene and Majesty are just the definitive "cowboy" romance for me. :)

    I don't know most of the other couples personally, but I LOVE the way you describe them and your feelings about them. :) And the pictures you chose - ! Yes Ma'am, the whole thing is just BEAUTIFUL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AWWWW. I'm SO glad you liked it! :D And really?? If you think I described their relationship perfectly, than that's praise indeed! Thank you!! I haven't read/watched MANY "cowboy" romances, but I'm sure they'll always remain a favorite. :)

      I hope you get a chance to become acquainted with all or some of them one day! ;) THANK YOU! :D

      Delete
  6. Man . . . the only ones I've read on here are Gene and Majesty, and Barney and Valancy. I need to check out some of these other ones, definitely :-)

    My favorite underrated couples are . . . hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm . . .
    1. Pierre and Cecile, "Shadows on the Rock." I don't care about the age difference. I don't care about Pierre's *AHEM* character flaws. I don't care about any of it. THEY ARE SOUL MATES. Nobody can convince me otherwise.
    2. Alban and Leah, "The Centurion's Wife." Happy feels galore.
    3. Hiram Prescott and Jessica Dryden Prescott, "A Distant Trumpet." 'Nuff said.
    4. Rye Tyler and Liza Hetrick, "To Tame a Land." They're so cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute . . . *sniffles*
    5. Jill Pole and Eustace Clarence Scrubb, "Chronicles of Narnia." I SHIP THEM OKAY.
    6. Em Menotti and Teo Dupre, "Black Dove, White Raven." They make me want to cry.

    I love Valentine's Day <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica!
      Rye and Liza are the BEST! <3 Just had to say!
      We can be pals now. ;) *high five*

      Delete
    2. *high five* THEY REALLY ARE. So happy to meet another fan!! :-)

      Delete
    3. Yes do check out more of them, Jessica!! Especially Jace+Kyrin's story and Romek+Kasia's. :)

      I haven't heard of annny of those couples except for Jill and Eustace (I think I liked them too, but it's been too long, so I cannot remember. :/). They all sound great! I'll have to check them out.

      Me too. <3

      Delete
    4. Oh, I enjoyed Jill and Eustace together, so if they would've lived they would've been an awesome couple

      Delete
    5. I can't wait to re-read the Narnia books with them as the characters; it's been too long. :D

      Delete
  7. Mandie and Joe!
    Goodness! What memories <3
    I have to say I don't really enjoy them NOW (Mandie can kind of bug me with her attitude) but my little sister and I read them when we were young, and just LOVED Joe.
    And 'Miss Match'! ARGH!
    I read the last book and was like, 'WHAT?!'
    They are so perfect <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, you read those books, too? Very cool. I haven't read them in soooo long, but I would like to. I loved Joe when I was young, too. ;)
      "ARGH" is the perfect word for it! Haha!

      Delete
  8. Oh! I don't know of most of those books, but I absolutely loved Mara: Daughter of the Nile! Not many people have heard about it, only those who do my homeschool curriculum. I too also really liked the descriptions of scenery and characters in that book. It brought to life the flicker of candle light on the wall and the moonshine. Joe and Mandy are another very little known couple. I loved them and how they always worked quite well together. I wish the movies would have developed their relationship more. I also loved your True Love post. Happy St. Valentine's day to you!

    Blessings,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Mara" is sooo beautiful. I'm really glad you love it too! I know; it's sad how obscure it is! "The flicker of candle light on the wall and the moonshine." YES.
      Aww, glad you like Joe and Mandie, too!
      Thank you!! <3

      Delete
  9. I knew my fave Barney and Valancy were going to be in here somewhere... I LOVE THEM. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you weren't disappointed! :D (SO MUCH LOVE)

      Delete
  10. Jace and Kyrin are the only ones I know, and I agree, they are very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. !!! You know Jace and Kyrin? That's SO cool. They're kind of my absolutely favorite couple right now. :)

      Delete
  11. I FEEL YOU SHOULD BE INFORMED THAT ALL OF THESE ARE NOW ON MY TBR!! I mean, you did say they were underrated so I'm not terribly surprised that I haven't read any of them? But you totally piqued my interest! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really?? THAT MAKES ME SO HAPPY. <3 I love getting people to read books I recommend. ;D

      Delete
  12. Soooo...I've actually never read any of these books. :/ But this was a fun post to read all the same. And I think maybe Joe and Mandie sound like the cutest couple. Just because I love it when childhood friends end up together. :)

    Happy (late) Valentines's Day, my friend!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, that's all right. Because you'll just have to read them someday, right?? ;) I'm glad you commented, though you aren't familiar with any of the characters. I love childhood friends who end up together, too! I've always wanted a childhood friendship turned romance with a guy, but alas, I'm no longer a child and have never had a friend who was a guy, so that's not going to happen. :P

      Same to you!! <3

      Delete
    2. Yeah. I lost my chance at a childhood romance, too. What a shame, right? :P

      Delete
  13. Oh dear, I don't know any of these. :P Maybe 'cause I'm not American? I'm not sure. But they sure look cute. :D
    (Also, we don't really 'do' Valentine's Day in Australia, hehe. Not that I have a problem with it, but it's always a big hype for other people and my family are just like, "Oh, it's Valentine's Day? Huh... hey, Mum whats for tea?"

    Ahem. :P But anyways - I was going to ask you, are you watching Poldark? ;)
    ~Miss Meg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww. Well, you should definitely try to read some of them, then. :)
      (Really? Haha. Well, my family doesn't really celebrate it either--I just use it as an excuse for blog posts--but it is a pretty big deal over here. Especially in the stores. Candy and flowers and stuff galore. :P)

      No, I'm not. :/ I'd like to, but I've heard there are certain "scenes".

      Delete
  14. I had bookmarked this page and just finished adding so many of these books on your list and from Jessica Prescott's comment to my TBR on my library account. This is why I love blogs! So many book recommendations (my library list plus bookmarks plus bullet journal list plus Amazon list). I'm a slow readers, so who knows when I will get to everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Livia! So true. I wouldn't have discovered half of my favorite books if it wasn't for blogs! I hope you enjoy the books when you get to them. :)

      Delete

You're thinking of leaving a comment? Please do! :D
Simply keep your words kind and gracious. Any comments containing mean or ugly words will be deleted immediately.