March 30, 2017

Lately

Every once in awhile I feel the urge to write a post with no meaning behind it, just a post full of "what I've been up to lately". It's like having a conversation with you all, and that's so much fun :)
I know spring is here when the snowdrops in our yard finally bloom. :D
Lately I've been reading....
A Tangled Web by L. M. Montgomery. This is the first time I've read it since I was very young, so the story is practically all but lost from my memory. I only remember that the first time I read it I didn't much care for it and that poor Gay had Noel stolen away from her by the horrible Nan. Now, as I'm reading it again, I'm finding how much more depth and humor and drama the story contains than just the pages about Gay's romance. :P

I'm finding myself rooting for Peter and Donna, laughing over the fight at Aunt Becky's funeral, smiling over the humor of Big Sam and Little Sam's estrangement, yearning for Hugh and Joscelyn to get back together, and pitying so many characters—poor Margaret, and Brian, and Roger.

Altogether I'm enjoying this story much more than I expected. :)


The Lunar Chronicles. Now, I want to add a disclaimer before I continue. The Lunar Chronicles are a series of popular YA futuristic fairytale retellings. I've heard some good things about them, and being the fairytale retelling fan that I am, decided to give them a try. And I'm glad I did. However, there were certain things in the series I was not comfortable with, notably some description of violence. I combated that by skimming as much as I could, but I wanted to forewarn anyone. If you ever try these books just....be careful. They may not be for you. ;) In fact, they barely made it on my "standards" meter, but the characters and stories are so endearing I just...couldn't help myself. I had to keep at the series for them. :)


 (Now if there are any fans of TLC, can we please talk about them?? Because these characters. I love them so much; I need someone to sympathize with me!)

Cress and Thorne by taratjah on DeviantArt || A beautiful couple that would make amazing characters:
CRESS AND THORNE, THOUGH <3
Lately I've been watching....
Okay. This is exciting. Guess what?? My family decided to try Clearplay's online streaming and now it feels like a magical door in the movie world has been opened to us. So far we've watched Top Gun, Captain America (!!!), and Indiana Jones. Captain America was my personal choice. I've been wanting to see it for years, have watched so many fan videos of Steve and Peggy, and have long considered Steve one of my favorite fictional heroes, even though I had yet to see his film.

Well, now I'm an official fan. And just as much in love with Steve as ever. :)


My brother and I are also on the third season of BBC's Merlin. I'm not entirely sure of my thoughts/approvals on the show, but on the whole it's really funny and thrilling. It's making me want to read more about Arthur and Merlin and all the lore of Camelot, that's for certain.

PS. I ship Arthur and Gwen so hard it hurts.

PPS. But then Lancelot comes into the picture and I just....I've never been so torn in a love triangle before....

Their faces are priceless!! This makes me laugh every time :D
THESE TWO <3 

Lately I've been sewing...

I know, this is a new one, right? Not many of you know I sew, do you? Well....that's because I don't. At least, not well enough to earn the distinction. My mom and I are working together on sewing a dress, but without her I'd be lost. :P

But, I have done a little altering and such by myself in the past and guess what? Over the past two weeks I've finished a tank top I created out of an old skirt, and finished altering a dress I bought from the thrift store. All by myself. I'm so happy. 
(It's also worth nothing that I started these projects about a year ago, so the relief in finally finishing them is extreme.)

Here is the dress. It used to be longer with skinny straps, and so I shortened it in order to make thick straps. 


Lately I've been listening to.....
Celtic music! I discovered the group Celtic Thunder via this blog post, and was instantly made a fan, much to Jessica's (Prescott) delight. :D This is one of my favorites at the moment. :)

Lately I've been writing....
Not a whole lot. :( But, I keep trying to chip away at my villain's backstory for my Princess and the Pea novel. I feel like the more time passes, the more I realize how much I still have to learn about my characters and their stories. *sigh* 
"You have heard that sermon before." 10 Ways You Know You're a Pastor's Kid | Project Inspired. Pretty much!
Arthur, looking disgruntled and confused for me because of my writing troubles
But, in the meantime, I'm planning on joining my dear friend Éowyn for Camp NaNoWriMo! Are any of you participating? 

(I re-did my writing page with a little more information on my stories. Check it out. :))

Springtime things I've been enjoying...
Late afternoon sunlight streaming through my window and hitting the lovely flowers on my desk.....drizzly, rainy days (like today).....little green shoots popping up all over the yard....air that doesn't freeze your nose (:P)....watching Pride and Preudice  1995 with my mom....plans for spring cleaning....pulling your spring/summer clothes out of the closet....

my flowers :)

Lastly, I'd like to tell you about two new, exciting things I did recently. One was that I tried out for a local theater's production of Beauty and the Beast!! I actually got cast as part of the ensemble (which is what I hoped for!!) (I still can't believe it, to be honest), but had to turn it down due to various reasons. I actually don't mind at all, because it was truly the trying out that I really wanted to conquer. I've always wanted to be in a play, but the thought of auditioning always scared me half to death. But, in Christ I can indeed do all things. He gave me the strength and courage to get up there and try, and I'm so glad I did. It was a really great, confidence-boosting experience. :) 

This is exactly Peter's thoughts right here. << sooooo perfect!:
literally me

A second scary/exciting experience I had was my first job interview!! It was for a position at the library, one I hadn't actually applied for, but it sounded intriguing. It's been awhile since it occurred, so I don't think I got the job. But that's okay. :) I'm still really thankful for the experience. 



Well, I'll bid you all farewell, now, and leave you with this adorable gif of Harrison Ford, which I didn't realize was from Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark till we watched it these past couple of days. :P 

PS. I feel like this gif needs some sort of witty caption, but my brain is not cooperating. Any ideas? I was thinking something along the lines of "My face when someone asks...." 

32 comments

  1. 'My face when someone asks my opinion on Josh Turner...' LOL
    Not sure if you are a fan or not, but I am, and that's basically my reaction. *laughs*
    Great job on the dress! I always enjoy reconstructing dresses, maybe because I'm too lazy to sew a whole garment. haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. UM, YES. He's literally my favorite country artist of all time. *high fives* So glad to find another fan!! :D (Seriously, that makes me happy. He's not the most famous of artists, I know. ;))
      Thank you! Haha, I relate to that. Alteration can be somewhat easier and quicker! (Unless, in my case, you procrastinate for about a year on it. :P)

      Delete
  2. CELTIC THUNDER. AND EMMET CAHILL.

    ALL THE HAPPIES.

    :-) :-) :-)

    Have you listened to Emmet's version of "Moon River" yet? I will very kindly drop the link here just in case you haven't :-P https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXlRs-LVlrA He does such a beautiful job (like, when does he ever NOT??) and I love the song so much. It's one of the many reasons why I love "Breakfast at Tiffany's" so much, in fact--because this song is in it :-)

    That dress looks lovely! I can just picture you wearing it and it's a very cool picture <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!!! :D

      Ohh, I have not. Thanks for the link! THAT VERSION IS BEAUTIFUL. His voice is just....wow. <3
      I really love that song, too, though I have yet to see the movie. :)

      Aww, thank you!!

      Delete
  3. My siblings and I adore A Tangled Web. I think it is the most facetious and hilarious Montgomery novel. I usually don't re-read too close after reading (to avoid sickening of a story), but after my sister started talking about it as she re-read it, I might have too. There are so many storylines, most of which have at least a few humorous moments. I thought Gay was too self-satisfied and naive and if Noel could be stolen, then he wasn't a man worth having. Gay growing up and loving Roger was a story line I liked (I would have pushed their ages just a bit closer though). Peter and Donna take the cake though, I love their absolute extravagant absurdity. Hugh and Jocelyn were less satisfying, I was left with the impression that she loved his house more than him (like how Pat takes Hilary after he's waited all those years after her stupid house, idol, burns down). But when she sees her formal love; I could scream with laughter.

    Oh, I enjoyed Merlin, but I think it had too many episodes and seasons. I don't think I finished the third or maybe didn't even get too it. I hated having so much about Morgana; I only cared about Arthur, Gwen, and Merlin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you do, too! It's not my favorite Montgomery novel, but it IS good. I love Gay and Roger, too! I think I didn't like them the first time I read the book (maybe, as you said, because of their ages?) but this time they were super sweet. :) But I agree, Peter and Donna's romance is the best, although I admit I really like Hugh and Jocelyn's, too. I agree that she seemed to like his house more than him, though. He seemed like SUCH a great guy. Why did it take her so long to get over Frank??

      Haha! I'm actually enjoying having so many episodes to watch, but we'll see what I think once I finish it. ;)

      Delete
  4. This post was so fun Natalie! I have not read the Tangled Web yet, but I hope to soon. The Lunar Chronicles on the other hand..... It is one of my favorite book series ever! Cress and Thorne are so cute!!!!! Thorne is just... so funny and sarcastic and I love him. I love all the characters! I can't even tell you which one is my favorite cause I feel I would be hurting one of my babies. :)

    Captain America is my favorite superhero also! Those Peggy and Steve videos really give you all the feels! But I watch them anyway.

    I just started the second season of Merlin and I hope to finish it soon. What do you think so far?

    I love your dress! I can not sew for the life of me. So I congratulate you for having to talent to sew.

    CELTIC THUNDER!!!!!!!!!! I love them so much! I have been a fan of theirs since right after they started. Emmet's voice is so..... just perfect.

    That's good you tried out for Beauty and the Beast. It's funny, I was actually going to try out for a production of Beauty and the Beast near where I live.

    Great post!

    -Lia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lia! AND YAY ANOTHER TLC FAN! *high five* I absolutely adore Throne. It's funny because when he first came into the series I thought he was a horrible guy, but my opinion quickly changed. ;) It is definitely way too impossible to pick just one favorite character....or couple! They're ALL so good.

      They do, don't they? <3

      I hope you're liking Merlin! I think it's so funny and fun, although some of the episodes are a wee bit much for my taste. I get really sick of magical creatures masquerading as humans. :P

      Awww, thanks!

      Cool! And yes, perfect, indeed. :D

      Really? That is a funny coincidence! I'm sorry you didn't get a chance, though. Hopefully next time!!

      Delete
  5. *sees a "Lately" post by Natalie and settles cozily in my seat*

    I'm glad you're enjoying A Tangled Web And yes... Roger! My heart breaks for him so many times.

    That dress must look stunning on you. :) BTW: I greatly approve of de fairy-lights. ;)

    I'm not sure I can handle the feels coming from that gif of Arthur.

    I'm so looking forward to doing NaNoWriMo with you!!!

    Just read your page about your writing... and it is lovely!

    That is so exciting about Beauty and the Beast! Good for you going out and auditioning plus doing a real honest to goodness interview!!!! *claps hands* I'm so proud of you girl. :) I recently did something daring (all shall be revealed soon ;)), and I totally agree with the whole theory of strength beginning in the stepping out and simply trying something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Éowyn,
      Awwww. :)

      I did! And Roger is such a wonderful hero, right? I didn't like him much the first time I read it, but this time I saw the error of my ways. ;)

      Aww, thank you! (Heehee, me too. :D)

      I knooow. <3

      I hope you've been having fun so far! I am, though my writing inspiration keeps coming and then going without warning. :P

      I'm so glad you like it!

      THANK YOU!! I'm so glad you agree and can relate. I can't wait to hear what your daring story is!

      Delete
  6. I love Josh Turner and Celtic Thunder too!

    Congrats on your sewing project! I started out the opposite way (garments first, then I started altering thrift store skirts).

    My best friend turned me onto Marvel...and now there's no going back. I now have 1 Captain America movie and both Avenger movies (though I've seen all the CA movies....) Perfect when I need my ultra-techie fix. LOL.

    And as for your characters....take some time out and listen to them. They sometimes have a lot of trouble opening up.

    Catherine (Farm Lassie)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catherine,
      Yay!! :D

      Thank you! Haha, that's a great way to do it, too! Maybe even better. :P

      Heehee, I hear you. I haven't seen the Avengers yet, but I'd like to soon.

      Thanks! :)

      Delete
  7. Captain America is great! I haven't seen Merlin, but I'm on Pinterest, so I know a bit about it... same for the Lunar Chronicles... (Pinterest was also the reason I watched the Hobbit/LOTR (and read them), Sherlock, Dr Who, Avengers, the Flash, basically everything I am now a fangirl of.) Hem. Anyway.

    I hope Camp goes great for you! Do you have your project all plotted out ready? Or are you - like me - a pantser? ...I ignored April's approach until it was too late to do anything about it...

    (Also, I very much appreciate the picture of Peter. I can't be responsible for adulting for myself!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jem,
      Pinterest does tend to expose you to a LOT of tv series an books and movies you wouldn't otherwise have heard of, doesn't it? :D

      Thank you! Well, I'm hoping to finish (or at least almost finish) the novel I started for NaNoWriMo in November. I'm definitely more of a plotter. ;) Sometimes I like pantsing short stories or fanfiction, though. It's fun and relaxing to write with no set structure.

      (Haha! :D Glad you enjoyed that!)

      Delete
  8. Great post! Made me smile to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When Irish Eyes are Smiling!!! Ah! A new favorite song of mine. Gotta love those Celtic Thunder lads! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE L.M. Montgomery! And that gif of Peter is me all day, every day. Lol. Cute dress!

    Hailey
    www.haileyhudson.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohh! Nice job on your sewing projects! And that was a very clever idea to shorten your dress in order to use the extra material for straps. Mmhmm. Very clever indeed. :) (By the way, I can relate to the feeling of relief at finally finishing projects that have been sitting around forever. I've had some of those, too.)

    Awwwwww. ARTHUUURRRR! You poor dear boy. All the things you have to put up with. It really is a lot of work having an authoress like Natalie, isn't it? Do stick with her, though. She'll get everything figured out eventually. Heehee. ;) (Love that gif of Arthur, by the way. Just in case you were wondering. ;))

    Good luck with Camp NaNoWriMo, my friend!! You're going to do awesome!!

    Oh, I'm sorry to hear you don't think you got the job. That's rather disappointing. :( Still, as you said, it was a good experience. And I'm just SO amazed by all that you've been doing lately! You've been one busy girl. :)

    About that ending gif. My caption for you would be: My face when someone asks me to reveal spoilers from one of my stories. "Uh, uh, uh. Nice try, but you're not going to get that out of me!" :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Miss March! :D (Heehee, right?? My procrastination skills get really tiring. :P)

      *Grins uncontrollably because of your reaction to Arthur*
      *Feels bad now for everything I put him through*
      Haha! I'm so glad you have faith in me. :D Thanks for encouraging my characters not to give up!
      (Me too. :D)

      Thank you!!!

      Aww, thanks. I don't mind TOO much....especially since I have a terribly exciting month coming up soon. June, you know. Cough cough. ;)

      THAT IS SO PERFECT. Thank you!!

      Delete
    2. What a coincidence! June is going to be a terribly exciting month for me, too!! What a small world...

      Delete
    3. Really?? That's so incredibly funny. :D

      Delete
  12. Oh my gosh, it's so late, but I'm on the last post! Hooray! I'm all caught up! :D

    I always thought Merlin looked interesting, but then I was unsure as to what it would be like... maybe I will give it a try sometime. :)

    Oh, how exciting - sewing! I can't sew well either (without my Mum I'D be lost, too!) but I have done a couple little things. I wish I was adept at sewing... I guess I really should practice it more.

    Oh, you only have JUST heard Celtic Thunder?! They're great! Actually, my elder brother managed to score free tickets (more than once, I think) to see them perform near us, which I was jealous about. :P

    WOW YOU AUDITIONED FOR BEAUTY AND THE BEAST?!! That's awesome!!! May I ask what specific part you got? (What's 'ensemble' actually mean, exactly? I'm afraid I'm a little clueless to some of these terms.) That's so great, though - congrats, Natalie! I feel so proud of you. :D

    And a job interview! That would be a big achievement too. :)

    That Harrison Ford gif. <3

    ~Miss Meg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! (And haha, yay! Great job! I'm really astonished you commented on EVERY post I've written since your trip. That's amazing skills you have there. ;D)

      It's definitely very funny and the characters are adorable. I have to say some of the episodes can be a bit strange, though. If you don't mind that, then I'd say go for it. :)

      I would be lost without my mom, too. ;D Everything I've learned is from her!

      Free tickets?? Wow, your brother is EXTREMELY lucky! (Tell him to take you with him next time. :D)

      YES, I DID!! Ensemble is just the people in the background. If I had done it, I probably would have played multiple roles, like a villager or a dish in "Be Our Guest". :D Thank you so much!!!

      Heehee, yes!

      :D

      Delete
  13. I think it's evident that I need to get aboard this TLC train!!! Everyone loves them and several people whose opinion's I trust (including you, now!) say they are good, so...

    Yay for Cap!!!! Isn't he precious??? But how does Clearplay work??? My family has considered something similar (there are lots to choose from) but when we found out one (whichever we were considering) just muted the language and thou could easily read their lips, we decided it wasn't worth it.

    TOM HIDDLESTON PLAYS ARTHUR??!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a really good series, minus just a few things I didn't approve of. ;) I hope you enjoy them!! (aww, thanks!)

      YUS. He's just the best. One of my favorite fictional heroes EVER, honestly. Clearplay sometimes cuts the scenes where language is used, but they use muting too. Personally I rarely find myself reading their lips, but maybe that's just me? I guess if your family doesn't want that, though, Clearplay may not be the best option either. :/

      YES HE DOES. :D

      Delete
    2. Same!!! He is so precious...

      What about other stuff like violence or sensuality? Does it just cut the entire scene? Do you find that confusing at all - like if you miss something important in the midst of the unnecessary stuff??

      In the show Merlin I mean????

      Delete
    3. Yes, for violence or sensuality they'll just cut out the entire scene (or parts of the scene, if it's violence). Sometimes it does feel confusing...but I guess it depends on what movie it is. We haven't watched a ton of movies that needed violence cut out, though, so I'm probably not the best authority on it. :/

      Ohhh, you meant "Merlin". No, Arthur is one of my characters in my novel. I cast Tom Hiddleston as him. :) Bradley James plays the Arthur in "Merlin". He's the guy behind Merlin in that gif.

      Delete
  14. THAT DRESS!!!! YOU MADE IT!!!?????? AWESOME!!!!!!!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't make it, I just altered it a little by shortening the bottom and making new straps. :) Thanks, though!!! :D

      Delete

I love comments as much as I love hot tea and a good book.....well, nearly, anyway!
Please keep your words kind and edifying.