May 2, 2017

"And there were birds singing."

I'm sorry to say this post is not going to be very long nor very in depth. (I just want to get it out of my drafts box, sshhhh.)  It's simply a post in which I share with you some snippets from The Horse and His Boy.

Awhile ago I re-read said book (need I really tell you whom it is by?) (fine, it's by C. S. Lewis. Remember that!) and though I found the entirety of the story beautiful beyond my remembrance, a few passages in particular stood out to me. Of course, as I am the Queen of Procrastination, I'm only now getting around to it. :P But better late than never, right?

The Horse and His Boy illustration by Pauline Baynes:

"Shasta was a little reassured by the breath: so he told how he had never known his real father or mother and had been brought up sternly by the fisherman. And then he told the story of his escape and how they were chased by lions and forced to swim for their lives; and of all their dangers in Tashbaan and about his night among the Tombs and how the beasts howled at him out of the desert. And he told about the heat and thirst of their desert journey and how they were almost at their goal when another lion chased them and wounded Aravis. And also, how very long it was since he had had anything to eat.

"I do not call you unfortunate," said the Large Voice.

"Don't you think it was bad luck to meet so many lions?" said Shasta.

"There was only one lion," said the Voice.

"What on earth do you mean? I've just told you there were at least two the first night, and——"

"There was only one: but he was swift of foot."

"How do you know?"

"I was the lion." And as Shasta gaped with open mouth and said nothing, the Voice continued. "I was the lion who forced you to join with Aravis. I was the cat who comforted you among the houses of the dead. I was the lion who drove the jackals from you while you slept. I was the lion who gave the Horses the new strength of fear for the last mile so that you should reach King Lune in time. And I was the lion you do not remember who pushed the boat in which you lay, a child near death, so that it came to shore where a man sat, wakeful at midnight, to receive you."

"Then it was you who wounded Aravis?"

"It was I."

"But what for?"

"Child," said the Voice, "I am telling you your story, not hers. I tell no-one any story but his own."

~~~

Wow. Let's just take a moment of appreciation for C. S. Lewis' brilliancy, shall we?

Isn't this an amazing allegory for God in our lives? So many things seemingly bad that Aslan did to Shasta and Aravis—chasing them, scaring the horses, wounding Aravis—were all part of a better and grander plan than what Shasta and Aravis could see in the moment.

So often I am just like Shasta with his "what for?"
Why does everything seem to be going wrong, God?
Why don't you send me what I asked for?
Why did you let that happen?
Why does my life seem awful right now?
What are you doing this for?
Why why why why?*

I've asked all these questions before, and ashamedly, I've asked them many times.

How long does it take us silly humans to get it through our head how wise and GOOD God is?

One day God will tell us our story—we'll see it all laid out before us, like a map. We'll see all the colors, all the bright ones and the dark ones, and realize how they were all necessary.

After all, God is the one holding the paintbrush. Are we really stupid enough to think WE could do better than HIM?

*Just think about how annoying it must be every time someone asks God "why"? And yet:

The Lord is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love.
~Psalm 103:8


~~~

* *> THE LOVE OF ALL LIVING CREATURES IS ONE OF THE MOST NOBLEST ATTRIBUTES OF MAN. [Charles Darwin:

"Who are you?" asked Shasta.
"Myself," said the Voice, very deep and low so that the earth shook: and again "Myself," loud and clear and gay: and then the third time "Myself," whispered so softly you could hardly hear it, and yet it seemed to come from all round you as if the leaves rustled with it.

Shasta was no longer afraid that the Voice belonged to something that would eat him, nor that it was the voice of a ghost. But a new and different sort of trembling came over him. Yet he felt glad too.


~~~
(I said it once before and I'll say it again, C. S. Lewis is BRILLIANT.)

I just...no words! I feel as if those three "myself's" perfectly sum up our Great Lord, as far as an allegorical story can. ;) Of course, I hope no one misunderstands me. Aslan is NOT God, or vice versa, and the place we need to look to for a definition of God is the Bible. But, despite The Chronicles of Narnia being a fictional allegory, don't you think the above is a beautiful, eye-opening description that we can apply to our own view of God?

And what about that last line? It made me think of "the fear of the Lord", and definitely put it into such simple, yet meaningful words.


The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.
~Proverbs 9:10

~~~

Yellow Wabler on flowered limb singing with a happy heart because he's praising His Creator God.....:

But after one glance at the Lion's face he slipped out of the saddle and fell at its feet. He couldn't say anything but then he didn't want to say anything, and he knew he needn't say anything.

The High King above all kings stooped towards him. Its mane, and some strange and solemn perfume that hung about the mane, was all round him. It touched his forehead with its tongue. He lifted his face and their eyes met. Then instantly the pale brightness of the mist and the fiery brightness of the Lion rolled themselves together into a swirling glory and gathered themselves up and disappeared. He was alone with the horse on a grassy hillside under a blue sky. And there were birds singing.
~~~
I have nothing to say for this one. Only that it's beautiful.

I'm sorry if this post was dreadfully dull, and if you all have already read The Horse and His Boy and realized all of the things I make note of above. :P The book was just so good and I had to share my thoughts with you all. I'd love to hear what you think!

PS. I realize now that this post is actually much longer and in-depth than I had anticipated. Haha. Disregard opening statement, please. 

18 comments:

  1. I hope that they make a movie version of the Horse and His Boy with the original cast one day (WITHOUT MESSING UP THE STORY THAT IS)

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just read this book to my little brother and we both enjoyed it so much. My favorite of these is the first. ;) Shasta is so cute - I love how he puts "how long it was since he had had anything to eat" at the very end of all his woesas if it is the worst of them all. :D Relatable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you both enjoyed it! Heehee! Yes! I too found him a very relatable character. He's just the best. <3

      Delete
  3. This book is very, very important to me; and I love this post <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it just wonderful? Thank you!!! <3

      Delete
  4. This was beautiful, Natalie. :) I read this aloud to my two little siblings earlier this year (or maybe it was late last year...) and that first one definitely stood out to me also! And I love the point you made with it, too. It's so true, and very easy to relate to!

    And that last one is so beautiful - just paints a picture in your mind! *siiigh*

    ~Miss Meg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Miss Meg! That's really cool that you made note of that part, too.

      Yeeees. <3 I love it. :)

      Delete
  5. This post was terrific. The Horse and His Boy is a beautiful story, and the quotes you choose to talk about were equally beautiufl. I love all the tie-ins to the Bible you pointed out, and this was just over all a very enjoyable post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you so much, Classic Girl!

      Delete
  6. This was such a great post Natalie! When I read The Horse and His Boy (People don't know who it's by!? I'm shocked!) I remember reading this and thinking that was great, but then I forgot about it. I agree with all you say here, it is so amazing! I tend to want to learn everyone's story, and then try to help, but it doesn't work that way all the time. That is so amazing how the one word, Myself, three times really tells us so much!!!

    THANK YOU so much for this inspiring post Natalie!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, MovieCritic! Ooh, I'm glad I reminded you of it, then. (Haha! Shocked, indeed. :)) That's very true. I was definitely surprised by how much of the story was applicable to our own lives, too.

      THANK YOU for your sweet comment!! I really enjoyed it. :D

      Delete
  7. Okay, so, first of all, SO MUCH BEAUTY GOING ON RIGHT NOW.

    How have I not been over here in so long? *face-palm* Natalie, my dear friend, I apologize.

    Second, THIS POST THOUGH <3 <3 <3 (Ha, yes, 'disregard opening statement' indeed! Not in-depth? I BEG TO DIFFER.)

    This was beautiful, Natalie! The Horse and His Boy is definitely either tied with The Magician's Nephew as my favorite Narnia, or just my favorite, plain and simple. I WUVS IT SO MUCH. And your thoughts on it . . . wow. Just wow. YES, we're always, always, ALWAYS asking, "Why?!" And you make a good point, it'd have to get a little old! But He's so patient with us; He understands.

    "He was alone with the horse on a grassy hillside under a blue sky. And there were birds singing." << GAAAAHHHHHH. THAT. THAT. I'd forgotten that, so thank you!!

    C.S. LEWIS IS MY BABY, YES, HE IS BRILLIANT, I AGREE. (Seriously, though. I started his autobiography Surprised by Joy recently -- haven't read much of it, but that's another story -- and I kept being struck by what a kindred spirit he is. Like, his writing just GETS me, I feel like. It's awesome. I'm looking forward to meeting him one day. :) Maybe you and I will be friends with him! I mean, we'll all be friends at that point, but you know what I mean. Okay. I'm leaving now.)

    Thank you for this post, darling!! <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AWW THANK YOU.

      No worries! I've missed you of course, but I understand. :)

      Eek, your comments always make me so happy. :D (Hahaha. ;))

      I haven't read The Magician's Nephew in forever, but I want to! Awww. I'm so glad you enjoyed my thoughts. YES. Lately I've been realizing more and more how abundant his patience is. <3

      ISN'T IT BEAUTIFUL, THOUGH? You're welcome! :D

      Ohhhh, I haven't read that yet, but I so want to, of course. Honestly, I've only read "The Screwtape Letters" but a I have a book of several of his books (I forget the name of what that is...a compilation?) and I REALLY want to read "Mere Christianity". YES. That is so true. He was indeed a kindred spirit.
      Ahhh!! I've never thought of that before, but YOU'RE SO RIGHT. If we're able, let's meet him together, shall we?

      Goodness, can you just imagine us all together in heaven one day? Finally with Jesus and finally all together, safe and in His presence? I know I use the phrase "I have no words" often, but for THAT day, I honestly don't. Have you heard MercyMe's "I Can Only Imagine"? It makes me tear up every time.

      Thank YOU for your comment, my friend!! *hugs*

      Delete
  8. I LOVED that book!!! (And CS Lewis, I love him too)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Emma!! :D Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  9. Ach! This was a beautiful post, Natalie!! It gave me shivers. C.S. Lewis certainly is brilliant, and the snippets you included are SO powerful.

    "So many things seemingly bad that Aslan did to Shasta and Aravis—chasing them, scaring the horses, wounding Aravis—were all part of a better and grander plan than what Shasta and Aravis could see in the moment." Yes, yes, yes!! That is definitely something we need to be reminded of in our walk with the Lord. Because sometimes the painful things are actually God's hand of mercy and grace in our lives. They don't seem good at the time, but in the end we realize they were indeed the best thing for us.

    Thanks for this post, Natalie!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you! I'm so happy you liked it!

      Amen! Hey look, we're agreeing again! ;D

      Thanks for your sweet comment. <3

      Delete

I love comments as much as I love hot tea and a good book.....well, nearly, anyway!
Please keep your words kind and edifying.